Wanted: Used Brass

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Wanted: Used Brass

Postby Sesshoku » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:52 am

So, just out of curiosity, how many reloaded rounds could one expect to get in trade for 300 once fired brass? :D

I'm not sure how that works, but I am curious. I'm not yet set up to reload, but I'm hoping Santa heeds my requests this Christmas

Chad
Sesshoku

Postby Hoot » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:57 am

Sesshoku wrote:So, just out of curiosity, how many reloaded rounds could one expect to get in trade for 300 once fired brass? :D

I'm not sure how that works, but I am curious. I'm not yet set up to reload, but I'm hoping Santa heeds my requests this Christmas

Chad

Its been a while but IIRC, I was giving 1 for 3 or 1 for 4. That was before powder got so hard to come by and pricey. I'm still working off those 1-fired cases and will be for a while to come.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:18 pm

Hoot wrote:
Sesshoku wrote:So, just out of curiosity, how many reloaded rounds could one expect to get in trade for 300 once fired brass? :D

Chad

Its been a while but IIRC, I was giving 1 for 3 or 1 for 4. That was before powder got so hard to come by and pricey. I'm still working off those 1-fired cases and will be for a while to come.

Hoot

I would rather buy the brass used than trade for reloaded rounds. Putting my babies in the mail rather than downrange would break my heart.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:54 pm

I don't know about the rest of you, and how you feel about shooting other folks reloads, but I would strongly advise you against both practices of sending people your loads and receiving other peoples' loads.
What works in one rifle may NOT in another and could damage the rifle and or the shooter. Also, the USPS frowns on ammo in the mail and to send it UPS or FedExcess, you're gonna pay a huge Haz Mat fee.
My advice is.... DON'T.
Just DON'T.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby pitted bore » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:03 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I don't know about the rest of you, and how you feel about shooting other folks reloads, but I would strongly advise you against both practices of sending people your loads and receiving other peoples' loads.
What works in one rifle may NOT in another and could damage the rifle and or the shooter.

TSD-
True, sharing your reloads is mostly a bad idea. If you sell them you need a federal manufacturing license. If you swap your reloads for items of value, it's likely a government lawyer could make an argument that this is equivalent to selling; the IRS has regulations governing barter.

Liability can be an issue also. If the guy with your reloads has an idiot brother-in-law who swipes the ammo and then blows himself up using a rifle with a mud-plugged barrel, the idiot's heirs may hire a shyster to come after you claiming you were negligent in assembling the ammo. They may not win in court, but paying your own lawyer and expert witnesses will be expensive.
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Also, the USPS frowns on ammo in the mail and to send it UPS or FedExcess, you're gonna pay a huge Haz Mat fee.
My advice is.... DON'T. Just DON'T.

Sending ammo through the US Postal Service is illegal; it's classified as hazardous by laws under which USPS operates. I an aware that lots of people do use the mail for ammo. I'm not going to mail any ammo, because with my luck the package would get ripped open by a defective conveyor belt and then I'd have an armed postal inspector knocking on my door.

Assembled ammo can be sent via UPS, Fed Ex, etc., without paying a hazmat fee. The packages are required to be marked appropriately, but there is no extra charge. If powder or primers are being sent, UPS etc. require that a hazmat fee be paid, and that the sender be licensed. Primed cases can be sent as regular parcels. (It all seems illogical, but if you imagine a UPS truck involved in a fiery collision, primed cases and loaded ammo aren't likely to be much of a hazard to the driver, but several pounds of powder or several thousand primers could get real interesting in a hurry.)

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:32 pm

Good advice to the casual reloaders who don't intend to become manuracturers. Reload for yourself, not for others.

BTW, I am still looking to buy once fired 450 Bushmaster brass from those of you who don't reload. It's like "free" money you can put toward your next box of factory rounds. PM me.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Sesshoku » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:35 pm

Thanks for the tune up on reloading etiquette. I had no idea that your best practice is not to shoot others' reloads. But having read this it does seem to be a good piece of advice. I mean It might be different if you really know somebody well and you share info about your gun and setup, but otherwise, I can see the potential for trouble for both the Reloader and the shooter.

Chad
Sesshoku

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b