Submitting load data for the reloading database

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Submitting load data for the reloading database

Postby MudBug » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:33 pm

1norcalvarminthunter wrote:Is there any more load data than The 5 or 6 available?

if you don't find any help in the load data I told you about, just start a thread in the 450b reloading forum asking for info on the loads you are wanting. We have lots of people that can help.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby BarracudaBob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:56 am

I took some of the data that is out there and put it together in one spot:

http://timberwalkestates.com/450bm/index.htm
BarracudaBob

Postby jamesgang » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:06 pm

I was thinking of getting all the bullets that would shoot through the 450 and do as many loads as my money would permit.
All the .452 bullets I can get at Midway from the Swift A Frame 325g and below to the .451 Barnes Buster 454 Casull 325g down to .451 Magtech HP 165g lead free bullets.

Try and hit both end of the spectrum from Thumper to Hummer.
I'd be inerested in working out the ballistics of a 180-165 grain bullet and see how flat and accurate it would fly.
jamesgang

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:48 am

BarracudaBob wrote:I took some of the data that is out there and put it together in one spot:

This link no longer exists. Is there somewhere that loading data is being collected? I have started the following table for my own reference. It is information taken from the Hornady Handbook plus info I have gleaned from the forum. I have only loaded and fired two of these - the 225 and 250 gr FTX. AS ALWAYS, ANYONE USING THIS INFORMATION FOR THEIR RELOADING PROJECTS DOES SO AT THEIR OWN RISK AND I AIN'T AGOIN' TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU BLOWIN' YOSEF UP.

The asterix (*) note got cut off, because the rest of my table includes some performance data, but it was too large to upload. The note reads in full, "Seat to crimp in cannelure; COL will be as stated up to .030 more; .475 diameter into cannelure; otherwise .476." Hoot has a recent post on crimping that goes into more detail.
Attachments
130104 Reloading Data Only  Image.jpg
130104 Reloading Data Only Image.jpg (118.47 KiB) Viewed 40109 times
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:
BarracudaBob wrote:I took some of the data that is out there and put it together in one spot:

This link no longer exists. Is there somewhere that loading data is being collected? I have started the following table for my own reference. It is information taken from the Hornady Handbook plus info I have gleaned from the forum. I have only loaded and fired two of these - the 225 and 250 gr FTX. AS ALWAYS, ANYONE USING THIS INFORMATION FOR THEIR RELOADING PROJECTS DOES SO AT THEIR OWN RISK AND I AIN'T AGOIN' TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU BLOWIN' YOSEF UP.

The asterix (*) note got cut off, because the rest of my table includes some performance data, but it was too large to upload. The note reads in full, "Seat to crimp in cannelure; COL will be as stated up to .030 more; .475 diameter into cannelure; otherwise .476." Hoot has a recent post on crimping that goes into more detail.

Nice Table Jim.

The 200 FTX and Lil Gun work better with a .475 taper crimp, just like the 225 FTX. I've never changed any old article data in the interest of keeping the findings to what they were when they were gathered. The 250 Blue Blems run exceptionally well using the same recipe as the 250 FTX. Ditto on the 225 Red Blems, use the same recipe as the 225 FTX.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Hoot wrote:The 200 FTX and Lil Gun work better with a .475 taper crimp, just like the 225 FTX. I've never changed any old article data in the interest of keeping the findings to what they were when they were gathered. The 250 Blue Blems run exceptionally well using the same recipe as the 250 FTX. Ditto on the 225 Red Blems, use the same recipe as the 225 FTX.

Hoot

I have made notes on my table re your comments. Thanks for adding this info.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby ZuperDave » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:35 pm

Hey, All,

I'm new here. But I'm not new to reloading. I'll spare you the bla-bla-bla of my credentials, and regardless, ultimate safety responsibility is on me. You guys have done an awesome job of qualifying and requalifying your responses in regards to anything with inflammability and pyrotechnic and shrapnel capability.
That said, from the browsing I've done of the site, it seems some of the most in-depth discussions regarding powders are several years old. On the other hand, facts are facts and not that much changes over time other than availability of components.

And there-in lies the rub. I happen to be the proud owner of a nearly full 8-pound keg of Alliant 2400. (I know there is a thread here regarding similarity/contrast of 4227 and 2400...) Does anyone have any more recent experience with 2400?

I also happen to own a fair amount of Hornady 200 grain XTP bullets. Unfortunately they are .451 VS .452. So any feedback on that and the interchangeability?

However ANY good advise would be welcome regarding 2400 in 240 grain bullets and up, primarily. After sufficient range tests, this will be going into a deer hunting gun (AR platform) to be used in Ohio, hopefully this fall (2018). I'm hunting everything from close brush to open fields.

Is my understanding correct that the 7 1/2 primers are the optimal ones for this round, regardless of powder?

Thanks in advance for your experience and expertise!

ZuperDave
ZuperDave

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b