Suicide Run: 200-grain FTXs at 3000 fps

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Suicide Run: 200-grain FTXs at 3000 fps

Postby pitted bore » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:51 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Could unburned powder exiting the barrel and flying through the chrony be confusing its sensors? Was there excessive muzzle flash? Either way, the 1680 does not sound like a viable powder for this weight of bullet.

TSD-
You're right; 1680 powder is too slow for a bullet this light in the 450B. Your question about unburned powder messing with the chronograph is a good one, so I checked the rifle which had not yet been cleaned. There was some soot left in the barrel after shooting these five rounds. I first put a dry patch through the barrel. There was soot on the patch, but under 12X magnification there was nothing that looked like unburnt particles of 1680. In my rifles, 1680 has been excellent with heavier bullets, but not with lighter.

The short video of the jug shot is being worked into slow-motion by a friend who does video work professionally. It should be interesting, and I'll try to post it when he's finished. Thanks very much for your offer.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby pitted bore » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:06 am

wildcatter wrote: ,,, but for my money and as I look at your results, a 10-25fps reduction, traded for a 8-12m Psi reduction is good business and does Markco's suggestions have any bearing (i.e. 16" vs 20"), I think yes, or am I not looking at this correctly?

T-
I actually did the tradeoff you suggest. With No.9 the maximum load I attempted was 50 grains, which produced a chrono velocity of 3049, but with evidence of some excess pressure. Rather than worry about pressure, I decreased the load to 48.5 grains, a 3 percent reduction. That resulted in a chrono'd velocity of about 2970 fps.

The barrel of the test gun was 26". A shorter barrel would have produced less velocity.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby pitted bore » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:17 am

See WARNING note above in first post of this thread.

wildcatter wrote:... If you were Not experiencing pressure problems, those double base powders actually like compressing and tend to light up when done so. Now, I Wouldn't try compressing #9 for fear of getting wild pressures, but compressing 1680, in the 450b "Might" show you far different, positive results.

When compressing those powders you can, experience Powder Clumping, so pull some bullet off your compressed loads and look for the clumps. If you are getting some amount of clumping then back off on the compressed charge some. I personally have not had any problems with mild clumping, but excessive clumping can be difficult to ignite or yield excessively high pressures, when they do ignite! As long as you are getting safe pressured loads you have room to do this. A compression of 2%-5% (Might be able to push pass 5% All through this process, let the clumping and pressure signs show the way or you may rue the day) causes, say 1680, to take off and to really light up, so-to-speak. Just keep pressure margins safe, or else (Kaboom)!! ...

Well, I do like to avoid Kabooms. I carry a length of string in my kit so that with a questionable load I can sandbag the rifle and attach the string to the trigger. Then I can put distance and maybe a big tree between the rifle and my tender torso while pulling on the string. "Hey y'all, watch this!" is no longer one of my reloading mantras.

In response to T's suggestion above, I just did a very brief trial with a compressed load of Accurate 1680 powder. I had to learn a couple of techniques that were new to me. The weight of my lot of 1680 that puts the FTX bullet on top of the powder with the recommended COL for the 200-grain FTX is 50.0 grains, +/- a couple of tenths. This 50-grain charge requires using a 12-inch powder drop tube, and judicious tapping of the filled case to settle the powder.

Just for this trial, I used a charge of 53.5 grains of 1680, which is a 7% increase above the 50-grain trial load that produced only 2220 fps. I used four FL-sized multi-fired cases; case lengths were 1.697-1.700".

The 200-grain FTX bullets didn't want to stay put with the usual seating operation using the Hornady seating die. The bullets would be pushed up several hundredths of an inch by powder as it decompressed. So, I backed off the seating stem a bit and seated the bullet with four separate press strokes, screwing in the seating stem after each one. I paused for about 10 seconds at the end of the ram upstroke to allow the powder to compress. This seemed to help. When I was finished, the COL was 2.200. However, before I could apply a side-crimp, the bullet had moved out so COL was 2.210. I had to settle for this. The case was not measurably bulged by the compression.

To hold the bullet in place, I applied a double side crimp, with the crimps about 0.03" apart.

I fired these trial rounds from the bolt gun described above over a chronograph place 12 feet from the muzzle. Average velocity was 2429 fps, which was a gain of about 200 fps greater than with the 50-grain trial. Even with compression 1680 powder was not able to approach the velocities possible with the five other powders used in the 200-grain trials.

It's possible that with compression, either Lil'Gun or Enforcer might equal or exceed the max velocities obtained with No.9. I'll leave that for some some other time or some other person.

I'm planning some trials with the 200-grain Barnes #45115 XPB bullet designed for the 460S&W. I hope to get these started before rifle deer season puts everything on hold, and then the snow shuts down the local range through March (or April or May).

TEASER: I have completed a set of velocity trials with 150- and 140-grain bullets. Even more than the work reported in this thread, the results have little practical application. They may have some intellectual or entertainment value, and I'll try to post them on this site soon.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:02 am

I haven't forgotten about the video, I've just been kinda under the weather. Got a flu shot and it kinda made me woozy after several days. Just getting back on my feet again so please be patient.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:04 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I haven't forgotten about the video, I've just been kinda under the weather. Got a flu shot and it kinda made me woozy after several days. Just getting back on my feet again so please be patient.

I'm a big believer that the flu shots you react the strongest to are the ones you "really needed" because they contained strains you didn't have an existing immunity to. The ones that don't phase you probably don't help. Not being an immunologist, that could be totally balderdash. I got one a few years ago now, on the Friday before duck opener and wound up spending the entire weekend in bed. Didn't get the flu that season though. Last year it had no effect on me other than a tender spot like most years. Got the flu terrible in late winter. Robin, I haven't forgotten your request. My Dad is out here on his annual pilgrimage and we've been glued together, more than any recent visit. He's slipping bad...

John
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:31 am

Sorry to hear about your dad, bro. Cherish the moments. I wished I could have had more time with my dad. But Parkinson's took him way too soon. Thanks for the info in advance. I'm leaning towards 25.5 grains of Win 748 using the CCI # 41 primers. By all my books, it looks to be in the ball park but I still would love detail info for the 5.56 Load I mentioned.
NOTE TO READER. Load mentioned here is not REPEAT NOT RELATED TO THE 450 BUSHMASTER.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Check your email, pitted Bore. If you approve, I'll post it on my channel.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:08 am

-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby pitted bore » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:44 am

TSD-
Thank you kindly, sir, for volunteering your time, effort, and expertise in editing and producing an interesting video. Your courtesy in permitting a critique before posting is also appreciated.

The WARNING is appropriate too. My other bolt rifle has produced some signs of excessive pressure when using cartridges reloaded with the same components and techniques as for the Model 70, but with powder charges reduced below the Model 70's useful maximum.

About 4000 ft-lbs of energy is dissipated in about 11 inches.

I've looked at a few other slow-motion videos of jug shots that have been posted on line, and have not seen in any of them the opaque white plume of water directed back in the direction from which the bullet came. It's very likely emerging from the bullet entrance hole.

--Bob
Edited to clarify results with other bolt rifle
Last edited by pitted bore on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
pitted bore

Postby Hoot » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:38 pm

pitted bore wrote:...snip...

I've looked at a few other slow-motion videos of jug shots that have been posted on line, and have not seen in any of them the opaque white plume of water directed back in the direction from which the bullet came. It's very likely emerging from the bullet entrance hole.

--Bob

When I was doing my initial 450b water shots, I too got introduced to the water jet blowback. Barely managed to lift the rifle out of the way before I took a good drenching to my chest. Not all shots yielded the geyser. Only when shot very close to center of mass and fairly straight inline with the stack. I believe I mentioned it in the post back then, but it is lost to the ages of subsequent posts. I certainly didn't expect it and it was a good lesson in how close not to stand. :o

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b