again with the 300g xtpmags

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

again with the 300g xtpmags

Postby tridentarmory » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:07 pm

so i had to sell my private 450 to the preacher.....

let me restart....

So a friend invited us to TX to shoot some deer in NOV. He is a Preacher in TX and owns Sharps Southern Safaris, otherwise known as texas 4s safaris

AWESOME PLACE, PEOPLE AND BIG BUCKS!!!

Meanwhile, after filling my tags, the owner decided that i wasnt allowed to take my trusty 450 home....

After getting home, decided i needed another, so i took a seconds barrel out of the batch, (one port is a little funny)
and loaded it up with my old rifle's favorite load, 39.5g of 296 under a 300xtpmag, and voila!

102 yards, 39 deg

VERY FIRST SHOTS, 3 rnd group, 2.11"

shots 4-6, 1.4"

7-9, .88"
10-12, .96"
13-17 (five round group) 1.15"
18-20, .43" no thats not a typo, three round group of 0.43"

its so interesting to see the barrel begin to foul and build copper residue that allows accuracy to grow instead of decay like we used to preach it would..... what a great time.

God i love this caliber... and im telling you now, ive never seen a universal load like this one...it seems like every gun i put it into, it works.
tridentarmory

Re: again with the 300g xtpmags

Postby wildcatter » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:56 pm

tridentarmory wrote:so i had to sell my private 450 to the preacher.....

let me restart....

So a friend invited us to TX to shoot some deer in NOV. He is a Preacher in TX and owns Sharps Southern Safaris, otherwise known as texas 4s safaris

AWESOME PLACE, PEOPLE AND BIG BUCKS!!!

Meanwhile, after filling my tags, the owner decided that i wasnt allowed to take my trusty 450 home....

After getting home, decided i needed another, so i took a seconds barrel out of the batch, (one port is a little funny)
and loaded it up with my old rifle's favorite load, 39.5g of 296 under a 300xtpmag, and voila!

102 yards, 39 deg

VERY FIRST SHOTS, 3 rnd group, 2.11"

shots 4-6, 1.4"

7-9, .88"
10-12, .96"
13-17 (five round group) 1.15"
18-20, .43" no thats not a typo, three round group of 0.43"

its so interesting to see the barrel begin to foul and build copper residue that allows accuracy to grow instead of decay like we used to preach it would..... what a great time.

God i love this caliber... and im telling you now, ive never seen a universal load like this one...it seems like every gun i put it into, it works.

James,

Sounds like this Caliber/Cartridge, love you back.

Ya gotta call me, I have some Shop Data for you that you may very well use..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:02 am

You was here in TX and you didn't gimme a jingle? I'm hurt!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:47 am

Based on this diagram from Hornady, 300 grain non magnum XTP are at the limit of "Impact velocity performance" after approximately 25yds (1700 ft/sec) leaving the barrel, assuming 1900 ft/sec muzzle velocity.
Reason saying, is that I cant find any XTP mag for the life of me near here and have to load non mag XTP.
Now the 250gr, I am not so sure about, but they slow to the acceptable "Impact velocity performance" after ~75yds . Let me know if my logic has failed me again
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:00 pm

FWIW, Midway has the non-magnum .452, 300 XTP on special right now. Link Here

In the case of the 300 grainers, I wouldn't sweat them not being the thicker jacketed magnum version.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:30 pm

tridentarmory wrote: favorite load, 39.5g of 296 under a 300xtpmag, and voila!

Seems hot,
Is this load coined the Trident 450+P?
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby BW460 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:01 pm

Widener's has the 300 xtp mags for $18 per box right now.
BW460

Postby BW460 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:14 am

I haven't had much range time lately. Life has a funny way of getting in the way sometimes. My goal was to work up a load with my H110 (W296 and H110 are the same powder today) and the 300 Xtp mags. I started out at 39.1 and worked up in .1 grain increments. I wasn't real impressed until I hit the magic number noted above! 39.5! It was 80 degrees out, OAL at 2.060. 20" Bushy upper on a RRA lower. My 3 shot group at 100 yards came in at 0.65"! Two of the rounds went through the same hole. It was a good day! I also had good luck with the 225 FTX's but still need more work on the 230 Nosler flat points. Unfortunately I'm having arm surgery in 2 weeks so not sure when I'll get back to the range.

Folks, please be careful. This load is WAY over SAAMI max. Work your loads up appropriately, watching for pressure signs. This load works in my gun, but yours may blow up!

Woody
BW460

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:25 pm

James and BW460, could you give me a good start point and some idea on your velocies? I have some 300 Gr bullets on my project board that I've yet to play with. Also what type primers, powder and crimp are you using?
I see the 296 powder was used here but were there any others?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:59 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:James and BW460, could you give me a good start point and some idea on your velocies? I have some 300 Gr bullets on my project board that I've yet to play with. Also what type primers, powder and crimp are you using?
I see the 296 powder was used here but were there any others?

Just got back from testing on my gas timing issue and actually reproduced James' load as part of the experiment. Certainly tried many other loads on the problem and figured I'd give James' load an at bat.
They are not as stout a load as some I've thrown but certainly authoritative and though only three test rounds, that load shot to 1 MOA without my BR rest and bag. Just a carpet covered 6x6 chunk of wood provided by the range. That's a new high for this new barrel I'm working with. I was just testing cycling, so I didn't deploy my chrony. Quick in and out before the rain hit.

Something to consider if you base your concerns off of calculations using QuickLoad, which I have used for 3+ years and love doing so. In the 450b, it almost always predicts velocities above what I get. I suspect the author likes being able to sleep at night and builds in some cushion of safety to allow for the idiots who don't start low and work up. If indeed you are using QL, set your start pressure to zero on the 450b and you'll get a darn close result at the bench, using the Hornady taper crimp. Throw a strong stab crimp into a cannelure or driving band groove and the result is much closer to the predictions using the default start pressure.

I've loaded different W296 loads in my 450b for as many years as I've used QL and believe me when I tell you, QL does not understand 296 in the 450b. It nails N110, Lil Gun, 2400 and 1680 within a few fps with a zero start pressure. However, QL has always over-predicted W296 by quite a lot. I don't know why. I noticed it when I first began plugging it into QL and then testing the result. That's not an endorsement for going off the deep end with W296, just my personal experience. How about you Bob? You've been around the block with the different powders.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b