Hornady HAP Bullets

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Hornady HAP Bullets

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:35 am

3rdgeargrndrr wrote:I dont personally believe the 450BM is a good round to start reloading in, if you are fairly new.

I must disagree. I started reloading with the 450 BM, and after looking at videos on reloading other rounds with necked cases, I think the BM450 reloading process is pretty straight-forward. Cases do not need to be trimmed and the expander die is not required. I would suggesting starting with the Hornady FTX BM450 bullets (.452), once fired BM 450 brass, Lil Gun and WSR or Remington SR primers before you step out into other bullets or powders. Also, of course, check this forum under reloading and search out answers to any questions you may have.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby RR44 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:56 am

I am only new to the 450b, I have been reloading for over 25 years and load over 15 calibers, 16 now with the 450, I have already loaded my first batch of 50 with the components I have been able to find in .452, I was under the impression that that was all I could use, but now I know, 3rdgeargrndr I believe that it was you that sent me here from CG, thanks for that btw
RR44

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:43 pm

oh. i remember now, you were loading 300gr XTP's.
let us know how you did, there are some threads ongoing about this projectile.
I actually had some great accuracy with 4227, but having dwell time issues, and needed to lengthen the gas system.
Whereabouts are you shooting?
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby RR44 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:50 pm

I am only new to the 450 bm not to reloading, I have bee reloading for over 25 years now, I know different bullet weights but I've never used a different diameter bullet in the same gun
RR44

Postby RR44 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:53 pm

I shoot at Burro Canyon mostly but I will be going to Angelus to try out the 450. Whereabouts do you shoot?
RR44

Postby Hoot » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:40 pm

RR44 wrote:I am only new to the 450 bm not to reloading, I have bee reloading for over 25 years now, I know different bullet weights but I've never used a different diameter bullet in the same gun

The bore of the 450b straddles the two worlds of .451 and .452. Having reloaded my share of both, they're pretty much a horse apiece. That having been said, there are IMHO, better choices of the represented types of bullets out there in .452 than .451, but the discerning differences are mainly realized in a BR environment. For hunting and entertainment target shooting, either is a good choice. I too had around 25 years of reloading mainly bottleneck rifle calibers, but also common straight-walled pistol calibers, before getting into the 450b. If you produce good results in other rifle (bottleneck) calibers, you will produce good results with the 450b. Very similar to the 460S&W. IMHO, if you shot the 460S&W out of the same rifle, I suspect you would have trouble telling the results apart from one another.

The 800 pound gorilla in the room is neck tension. Good reloading prep of your cases, as you would with bottleneck reloading, yields good results in this straight-walled caliber as well. Consistent case prep and crimps regardless of which you choose, will yield quality, precision loads. Less attention to fine points and you still produce good loads. It's more forgiving than most will let on. Quality control by the bullet manufacturers is not as tight as one might guess, when they get up to this size. I've mic'd bullets as small as .449 being sold as .451 caliber. Luckily most will be in the range of .451-.452. When you factor in the percentage of overall diameter that represents, it's within the same variation you will find when you mic .308 or .243 bullets.

Have fun...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:51 pm

RR44 wrote:I am only new to the 450 bm not to reloading, I have bee reloading for over 25 years now, I know different bullet weights but I've never used a different diameter bullet in the same gun

There is some confusion. The SAMMI Spec is .4515" so any bullet from .451-.452 is just fine to use..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MichaelK » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:32 pm

RR44 wrote:I shoot at Burro Canyon mostly but I will be going to Angelus to try out the 450. Whereabouts do you shoot?

Is this the Azusa Ave. Burro Canyon? If so, that' one of my favorate ranges also. Sorry about the recent fire.
MichaelK

Postby wildcatter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:09 pm

RR44 wrote:Good morning fellas I'm a newbie to this site and the 450b , I was not aware that .451 bullets could be used in it, I was under the impression that only .452 bullets had to be used, can someone enlighten me on how this is possible?

Welcome aboard my man.

Now, to your question..

The SAMMI spec on the barrel is the same as the 45 ACP which is .4515". The spec for the 45 colt is .452" so bullets from .451"-.452", All are exceptable and all shoot with equal ease. Heck, there is that much variance in the barrels and or the bullets. Shoot them all and worry not!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby RR44 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:03 am

Thanks to all who replied, I do in fact load bottle necked calibers like .223, 22-250, 30.06, just to give a few examples, I pay attention to the little things like trimming to load length, primer pocket cleaning (thoroughly) and chamfering when necessary, my Rifle rounds are pretty accurate IMHO, again Thank You all for chiming in, this is a great forum and you guys are very knowledgeable
RR44

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b