250gr XTP's

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

250gr XTP's

Postby mnhornet » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:58 pm

Saw them on a shelf locally for $25 and couldn't help myself. Figure they'll be fine for range fodder, and maybe whitetails.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Re: 250gr XTP's

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:16 am

How did these shoot? I've been warned that the jackets on the standard XTPs are thinner than the XTP Mag and it may not fair well at our velocities.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby mnhornet » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:24 am

Pretty typical, 4 shots in a big ragged hole and a flier.
This rifle has been silly accurate, and trouble free from the start.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I've been playing with a new to me .308
I'll look for the target, and load data. Pretty sure it was just old brass, lil gun, and a big JHP. ;)
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:25 pm

This 300 grainer non mag XTP devastated 3 water gallon jugs and knocked into a steel backstop
Jacket and mashed up projectile were found in the dirt, pieces of jacket and lead were in the second and third jug
First jug disintegrated, literally exploded and fell from the sky like rain.
I wouldnt use this for hunting if i wanted any usable meat. Sorry i didnt check velocity on this one
Last edited by 3rdgeargrndrr on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:09 am

Wow. You actually found it. Maybe @ 300 grains, the velocity stayed low enough to stay intact for the most part. Sounds like a vicious SD round though!
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:24 pm

One great thing about the "non magnum" XTP, Showing off.
I have these loaded to light-medium 460 SW charges (dont try it without working your way up)
Spectators at the range become slack jawed yokels after seeing Water jugs literally disappear. :lol:
One word of caution, make sure no other targets are within the 30 foot "blast radius" or they will get soaked
Try that with a soft point 308!

You can thank TSD and his youtube videos for getting me hooked on this platform.

Oh, I wouldnt think of using this as an SD round. Wouldnt want to give the first responder PTSD, ;)
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:05 pm

Oh, I wouldnt think of using this as an SD round. Wouldnt want to give the first responder PTSD,

ROTFLMAO!!! That's no lie. Your interior decorator would even suffer from PTSD when they came out to clean up afterwards. But I think it's safe to say that's going to be true with any 450 Bushmaster round.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby AboveTheBest » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:18 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:How did these shoot? I've been warned that the jackets on the standard XTPs are thinner than the XTP Mag and it may not fair well at our velocities.

I realize this is an older post, but I've recently had some experience with these bullets and thought I would share what I've seen with anyone thinking of buying some for deer hunting.

The XTP has long been a solid performer in my hunting circle, and after shooting three deer each earlier this year with FTXs, my Dad and I decided to load up some of the XTPs to see how well they would do in the 450. Like many of you we noticed the 250gr non-mag XTPs were pretty inexpensive, and despite tales of jacket separation, we decided to load some up and see how they performed.
We started with 39gr of H110 just like we do our FTXs, and were impressed to see they shot exactly the same and required no scope adjustments. We like to shoot tin cans filled with water, and at 100 yards the XTPs turned them inside out and left us searching for pieces for quite a while. Impressed with the accuracy, and with nothing to lose, we decided to make these the loads we would take opening weekend for gun season in Indiana. If nothing else, we knew we could count on an entrance wound at least .45"...

The actual results:

Deer #1: 30yds, shot straight down through the spine/through the heart.
2" entrance wound/.45" exit.
Did not move an inch after the shot.

Deer #2: 25yds, shot through neck.
2" entrance wound/.45" exit.

Deer #3: 85yds, shot just behind shoulder, shattered 3 ribs on each side and exploded heart and lungs.
2" entrance wound/2"exit.

I'm not a physicist, but all I can figure is the entrance is bigger at close ranges due to some kind of sever over pressure inside the deer. It makes sense (to me at least) that all of that energy from the bullet hitting the deer has to go somewhere and in that first millisecond after it hits it's easier to go back through the existing hole, which causes the veritable explosion of an entrance wound. We shot some 1/4" steel with some factory rounds, and besides making a hole that looked like a hole puncher through paper, the bullet also made the metal do something similar. The steel actually flared back towards the entrance of they bullet instead of the exit... It was very bizarre, and now I'm thinking it was something similar to what seems to have happened to the deer.

So what about jacket separation you ask?

Well I can verify it did in fact happen. When skinning Deer #1 we found the entire copper jacket with no lead core inside. The copper peeled back as advertised and almost doubled in size before it came to a halt about 1.5" before it would have exited. As far as I can tell the bullet turned into two projectiles inside the deer, causing considerably more damage to the interior.
I can't say these bullets were the cause of any excessive meat loss, but I do think any bullet has the potential to ruin a deer if shot in the wrong spot.

My conclusion is the 250gr XTP non-mag is fine choice for whitetails, and jacket separation isn't as bad as everyone assumes (at least on thin skinned game).
He who makes a beast of himself gives up the pain of being a man
AboveTheBest

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:02 am

mnhornet wrote:Saw them on a shelf locally for $25 and couldn't help myself. Figure they'll be fine for range fodder, and maybe whitetails.

Went to the Fleet Farm down by Chaska and saw 300gr XTP Mags for something like $22.00 a box. Almost bought them.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:28 am

Just FYI, the 230 Grain FMJs do the same thing to steel plate.
image.jpg
Steel slug made by a 230Gr FMJ
image.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 14522 times

image.jpg
Surface peel
image.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 14522 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b