450 Bushmaster brass

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

450 Bushmaster brass

Postby scottfisher » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:01 pm

Where can I get some brass. Looked all over and my regular go to online stores are out. Any advise.
scottfisher

Re: 450 Bushmaster brass

Postby BW460 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:49 pm

That's hard to come by. Go to www.palmettostatearmory.com and buy some factory ammo and save the brass. At $1.25 per round it is cheaper to buy the factory ammo and save the brass than to buy the components to make that first round. I had four boxes of brass on backorder from Midway for three months. Finally got smart and canceled it and bought the ammo from Palmetto State.

Woody
BW460

Postby Colohunter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:55 pm

BW460 wrote:That's hard to come by. Go to http://www.palmettostatearmory.com and buy some factory ammo and save the brass. At $1.25 per round it is cheaper to buy the factory ammo and save the brass than to buy the components to make that first round. I had four boxes of brass on backorder from Midway for three months. Finally got smart and canceled it and bought the ammo from Palmetto State.

Woody

+1. The factory ammo shoots great out of my upper and once you calculate the cost of bullets, primer and powder the PSA ammo is a great deal. That is how I will continue to get my brass.
Colohunter

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:10 am

To answer your question

It's best to search for Hornady reloading supplies by the Hornady P/N. In the case of brass, that P/N is: 86935, so Google "Hornady 86935".

Production comes and goes in spurts, so there will be times when everyone has it and times when it is harder to find in stock like now.

These two places say they have it in stock at the moment:

http://www.huntersemporium.com/hornady- ... y-hornady/

http://www.inventorycheap.com/hornady-8 ... er-50.html

The latter has the lower price before shipping.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BW460 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:56 am

Hoot is absolutely correct, but .... Inventory Cheap is now out of stock. Be careful of their shipping charges. The inventory may be cheap but the shipping isn't. By the time you buy the brass and pay shipping it will cost almost $1.00 per shell case. Powder and primer for one round is in the neighborhood of $0.25. So, for our first round we are already at $1.25 and haven't bought any bullets yet! Palmetto State will deliver factory ammo for $1.25 per round. Shoot it and save the brass. Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know, its the same brass.

Woody
BW460

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:46 am

BW460 wrote:Hoot is absolutely correct, but .... Inventory Cheap is now out of stock. Be careful of their shipping charges. The inventory may be cheap but the shipping isn't. By the time you buy the brass and pay shipping it will cost almost $1.00 per shell case. Powder and primer for one round is in the neighborhood of $0.25. So, for our first round we are already at $1.25 and haven't bought any bullets yet! Palmetto State will deliver factory ammo for $1.25 per round. Shoot it and save the brass. Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know, its the same brass.

Woody

Boy, that didn't take long to go out of stock at Inventory Cheap. I'm guessing it was out of stock already, but they don't update over the weekend. As long as I have been reloading for the 450b, new, unfired brass has ran around $1.00 a case, shipped. Aside from the occasional sale at Midway, it's price is fairly stable. The realized saving by buying factory rounds only has worth is you want to shoot the 250gr bullet. In almost 4 years, I have never bought factory ammo simply because I was interested in bullets that were not available as loaded ammunition. Even back then, there was already an abundant supply of performance data on the factory ammo, so nothing to learn. So, I've always bought either new brass or 1-fired brass from someone else. Often I traded services for 1-fired brass or flat out mooched it when my supply dwindled. I do not reload more than 5 times, but that's a personal preference due to shrinkage or if they were from stab crimp experiments, then because of the crimp scars. I usually give away my 5-fired or scarred brass to members who want it, for the cost of postage. Before you ask, I'm out of it at the moment.
My primary interest lies in experimenting with reloading and I like to have as little variation in my brass for those experiments, otherwise, I'd still have every piece I ever got.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hopalong » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:29 am

I heard that Palmetto was VERY slow to ship. Is that the case?

Thx.

Hop
Hopalong

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:35 pm

I have found PSA to be very good on shipping. I have no problem ordering from them, and will do so again, based on their prices and delivery - which tends to be less expensive than other options.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:39 am

PSA shipping is okay. It took about a week for my FFL guy to get his shipment of lowers. But if you really want to test your patience, try ordering anything from Alexander Arms.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:52 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:PSA shipping is okay. It took about a week for my FFL guy to get his shipment of lowers. But if you really want to test your patience, try ordering anything from Alexander Arms.

Its pathetic what those guys using the 50beo and 458soc have to put up with. I've seen post we're both have been accused of "Bait & Switch" tactics and this has been true for years??

We have never had serious resupply problems until the last year or so of the Panic, and even then you could get what you wanted, with some amount of research.

Now that the panic is over and as the various companies are getting caught up, we are seeing the flood gates opening and the market for 450b goodies will become like the old days. Heck, I walked in to Meyers 2 months ago and bought 4000rds of 22LR, and for the old price. The counter guy said this is now a daily occurrence! They expect to be flush with 22's soon. The once empty shelves for the other ammo types were nearly all full up!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b