Accurate No. 9

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Accurate No. 9

Postby BW460 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:38 am

Has anyone had any success using No. 9? It is my go to powder for my .357 and .45 Colt revolvers. I was thinking about trying it with the 230 gr. fmj round nose bullets. I searched this site and found a few references to it but no info about loads that might have worked. If it's been done and doesn't give good results, I won't waste my time. It's easier for me to get No.9 than Lil Gun.

Woody
BW460

Re: Accurate No. 9

Postby Mort » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:30 pm

I have never tried No. 9 but Western Powders has published 450b loads with it. Please give it a try and let us know how it goes. Someone on here had posted a link to Westerns 450 Bushmaster page a while back but I can't seem to locate it. Hopefully someone else will remember it and chime in.
Mort

Postby kottke_35 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Mort » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:19 pm

Go to the Western Powders web site. Then to the Accurate powders page. The 450 Bushmaster info. is on page 52.
Mort

Postby pitted bore » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:36 am

BW460 wrote:Has anyone had any success using No. 9? It is my go to powder for my .357 and .45 Colt revolvers. I was thinking about trying it with the 230 gr. fmj round nose bullets. I searched this site and found a few references to it but no info about loads that might have worked. If it's been done and doesn't give good results, I won't waste my time. It's easier for me to get No.9 than Lil Gun.

Woody-
I had good results, both with velocity and accuracy, using No.9 with the 200-grain Hornady FTX and Barnes pointed XPB bullets. I reported this in a recent thread: Suicide Run: 200-grain FTXs at 3000 fps.

Some things to consider:

1) READ THE WARNING IN THE FIRST POST ON THAT THREAD. With the bolt gun, I was safely (maybe) working at pressures considerably above SAAMI max. The maximum recommended load for the 200-grain FTX by the powder manufacturer is 40.2 grains; I maxed out at 48.5 grains.

2) As indicated by the posts above, it is important to check the reloading data developed by the powder maker. For maximum velocity at safe SAAMI pressures, Accurate 4100 or Ramshot Enforcer would have been better than No.9 with the 200-grain bullets. (Beyond the SAAMI max pressure, the faster No.9 allowed higher velocities; Enforcer ran out of powder space.)

3) With your 230-grain FMJ bullets, 1680 powder will produce 200 fps more velocity than N0.9 at max SAAMI pressure, according to the data tables. However, No.9 may produce the same or better accuracy.

If you have No.9 available, give it a try. Please report your results in this 450B reloading forum.

Thanks.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby BW460 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:38 am

Bob,
Thanks for your post. Yes, I have read your "suicide run" post and I'm well aware of the manufacturer's published load data. After I have studied the published data, I always preview my loads with QuickLoad to give a "second" opinion. As most on this board know, this cartridge has a little more room than what has been published, but I do try to watch for signs and keep it safe. I'm not one to run on the extreme edge, but as I said, there is a little more room than what is published. I keep seeing 1680 mentioned on here and I want to try it but it may be a while before I can get any. Not only do I have to deal with the shortages but the Peoples Republic in which I live has a stoopid 5 lb maximum possession limit for powder. Makes it impossible for me to stock up. Right now I have some H110 and some No. 9 so that's what I'll work with. I thought the No 9 might be better for the lighter bullets and use the H110 for the 300 gr XTP Mags. Hoot had previously made a comment using Optimum Barrel Time. I read the article and it fascinates me. My technical brain wants to believe that there is an equation that will get me close. We'll see how that works. My testing will take awhile as the range is an hour away. I am jealous of those of you who shoot out the back yard. Neighbors in my townhouse might not appreciate that.

Woody
BW460

Return to Reloading for the 450b