First time reloading 450 Bushmsater.

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

First time reloading 450 Bushmsater.

Postby scottfisher » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:49 pm

First time reloading 450 Bushmaster but experienced reloader. So my first question what coal are you guys using for barnes 275 xpb's. I see some data for 2.20, 2.25, and 2.260. I'm going to use Lil gun so what would you guys recommend I start at. I found some data that starts at 35 and goes to 39. I do have the Hornandy book and this seems a little hot to me. Also is a crimp really necessary for this load. If so I was going to buy the lee 45-70 crimper. Not sure why the Hornandy crimp die would work?

Scotty
scottfisher

Re: First time reloading 450 Bushmsater.

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:49 am

A heavy taper crimp might cause headspace issues. You are using the stab crimp to increase pressures for better iginition.
I dont think you would have too many issues with a 275g requiring the heavy stab crimp but to be very safe go with minimum powder loads and the longer oal. Be sure to use magnum primers and thunk test the cartridges in a safe place to ensure feeding. Good luck and post outcome
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:00 pm

I am on the road and don't have access to my files, but if you search there are some rules of thumb for reloading on this forum that apply generally, for example the % of the case that the powder should fill and the length of the bullet (related to the caliber, if I remember correctly) that should be seated inside the case. You may know all of that already. The Hornady reloading manual has data for the 250FTX and a 300 gr Hornady bullet, so with the 275 falling between these two, you may get an idea of where to start, both for weight of powder and COL The COL given for the 250 FTX would be the maximum, and there is information on the board about COL's for the 225 FTX, which may be a minium, although - again as I recall, the BM 450 is not very sensitive to COL.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby pitted bore » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:01 am

scottfisher wrote:First time reloading 450 Bushmaster but experienced reloader. So my first question what coal are you guys using for barnes 275 xpb's. I see some data for 2.20, 2.25, and 2.260.

Scotty-
To date, I have used the 275 XPBs for only a short trial. My COL was 2.202". That was the length that allowed taper crimping into the front groove on the bullet.

scottfisher wrote:I'm going to use Lil gun so what would you guys recommend I start at. I found some data that starts at 35 and goes to 39. I do have the Hornady book and this seems a little hot to me.

In one of my bolt guns, 38.5 grains of Lil'Gun was max, judging by the traditional signs of overpressure produced by 39.0 grains. I'm pretty sure this 38.5-gr load was producing about 55,000+ psi, well above SAAMI limits for the 450B used in ARs. Be careful with your starting loads.

Hoot has some good information in the response to your question on your thread from 5 March. It's worth reading,

scottfisher wrote:Also is a crimp really necessary for this load. If so I was going to buy the lee 45-70 crimper. Not sure why the Hornandy crimp die would work?

A crimp is helpful in keeping the bullets in place in the case when the cartridges are chambered from the magazine.

It should not be necessary to apply a side crimp, either with a modified Lee 45-70 FCD or the 45 Colt FCD that's been mentioned on this forum. The Hornady taper crimp die ought to work well with this bullet weight. (Don't use the roll crimp built into the Hornady seating die; it's intended for use with the 460 S&W, which uses the same seater sleeve.)
--Bob
pitted bore

Return to Reloading for the 450b