FTL flat points

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

FTL flat points

Postby BW460 » Sun May 04, 2014 5:53 pm

A couple weeks ago , I scored some of the Nosler 230 grain flat points. First, let me say that I have exactly zero problems with factory rounds. I loaded up 7 rounds to test. No joy. Every time, they would move forward ( I'm using the factory Bushy magazine) and jam into the forward part of the receiver never making it up the feed ramp. On the face of the bullet you have the flat point then a very small radius on the edges. You can see the cut mark into the radius where it is hitting. So, I got the dremmel out and just ever so slightly put a small bevel on the receiver just below the feed ramp. I then polished the bevel and the feed ramp. I hand cycled a couple of rounds and it worked! So today I go back to the range. I load the first round and all is good. However, the second round jammed again. Its jaming about every other round. Any thoughts? I polished the underside of the magazine feed lips. Should I try opening them up? If so, what is the best way to do that?

Thanks,
Woody
BW460

Re: FTL flat points

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:06 am

What's your Case OAL? Could you provide some pics of your loads?
Thanx!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BW460 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:30 pm

My energy has been focused elsewhere for the past few weeks so it has taken me a while to get back to this. The issue was magazine related. The factory mag worked flawlessly with factory ammo so I was hesitant to do anything to it. I bought some of the 20 round (.223) ASC magazines and put the black followers that I got from WC in them. I had to tweak the lips in a bit, but after doing so, I now have a magazine that works will all different kinds of bullets. My C.O.L. was 2.095 on the flat points. I do think I will clip a coil or two off the spring, as it is pretty tight.

Right now, I'm trying to work up some H110 loads for the 230 Noslers and the 300 XTP Mags. I know you all love your Lil' Gun, but it just runs too hot for my liking. Well, and there is that part where I just cant get any, even if I tried! I go through a lot of H110 with my 460 S&W Mag, so I'll just keep trying with it. For that matter, I might have to pull some 460 cartridges because I cant get any more H110 either!

Woody
BW460

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:18 pm

BW460 wrote:My energy has been focused elsewhere for the past few weeks so it has taken me a while to get back to this. The issue was magazine related. The factory mag worked flawlessly with factory ammo so I was hesitant to do anything to it. I bought some of the 20 round (.223) ASC magazines and put the black followers that I got from WC in them. I had to tweak the lips in a bit, but after doing so, I now have a magazine that works will all different kinds of bullets. My C.O.L. was 2.095 on the flat points. I do think I will clip a coil or two off the spring, as it is pretty tight.

Right now, I'm trying to work up some H110 loads for the 230 Noslers and the 300 XTP Mags. I know you all love your Lil' Gun, but it just runs too hot for my liking. Well, and there is that part where I just cant get any, even if I tried! I go through a lot of H110 with my 460 S&W Mag, so I'll just keep trying with it. For that matter, I might have to pull some 460 cartridges because I cant get any more H110 either!

Woody

Hey Woody,

You sound like you're a pretty good engineer/gunsmitty, you saw the problem and weren't afraid to go for it and fixed the problem! Good Go 'ol man!!

BTW, those 230 FP's are about my favorite. Along with the 230FP Hornady makes..

..t

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Return to Reloading for the 450b