Brass Mileage

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Brass Mileage

Postby nickdeannow » Wed May 28, 2014 5:03 pm

I've seen people post that they only load brass 5 times and then give it away. Well I'll take that brass all day long! I reloaded 60 rounds tonight and realized over 20 of those were being loaded for the 12th time. Some have shrunk more than others but the shortest was 1.684". I think they must stop shrinking about here because I remember seeing that dimension after 6 reloads.
Just saying...This brass is like the energizer bunny. I'll let you know what it looks like after 20 reloads, but I'm optimistic.
nickdeannow

Re: Brass Mileage

Postby Mort » Thu May 29, 2014 2:56 am

How often, if any, are you annealing?
Mort

Postby nickdeannow » Fri May 30, 2014 5:53 pm

I've never annealed 450 brass.
nickdeannow

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:25 am

I do not anneal. The most times I have reloaded a case is three times. Elsewhere on this board, there are comments anticipating 20 plus reloads as being possible.

There is also advice on how to track the number of times you reload each case. I segregate cases by number of times reloaded, and if I take cases with different cycles to the range, I collect the brass separately, so I keep track of the number of cycles on it for the next time I reload.

Hoot uses a punch just above the rim; others mark the cases in other ways.

Check out http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12867&p=35804&hilit=annealing#p35804.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:15 am

Jim in Houston wrote:I do not anneal. The most times I have reloaded a case is three times. Elsewhere on this board, there are comments anticipating 20 plus reloads as being possible.

There is also advice on how to track the number of times you reload each case. I segregate cases by number of times reloaded, and if I take cases with different cycles to the range, I collect the brass separately, so I keep track of the number of cycles on it for the next time I reload.

Hoot uses a punch just above the rim; others mark the cases in other ways.

Check out http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12867&p=35804&hilit=annealing#p35804.

Micro-Dotting to track number of times a case has been reloaded.

WRT to the annealing thread referenced in Jim's link. I don't recall ever posting the range report for the impact in terms of velocity SD or accuracy impact as a function of annealing. It's been a while, but IIRC, I never posted it because there was no statistical difference between the annealed and the control group, so nothing to be gained there. Still, purists maintain that annealing cases is a good thing to do. In the case of the 450b, no telling how much doing so will increase the brass life expectancy. I am much more religious about annealing my different bottleneck calibers and in the case of my 7.62x40WT, it's a necessity for forming the brass from 5.56 cases. For those of you not familiar with the 7.62x40WT, it's what the 300 BO could have been if it had not been designed primarily for sub-sonic performance.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b