450b Reloading Powders

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 450b Reloading Powders

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:04 am

Also. Everyone needs to read this update from Hodgdon powders.
https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Web%20Page% ... 0Surge.pdf
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:01 pm

Scalpers have diversified their effort to include reloading components. Much easier than working for a living and more money than being on the dole. :x

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:43 pm

Ed L T wrote: ... So if I had my wish for my 450B it would be Shooting Hornady 200 grain & 300 grain bullets, Barns 460SW, 200 grain and 275 grain XPB coppers. If I could get them to 2800 or 2900 fps that is as fast as I like to shoot any round. Am I living a pipe dream or can I get there from here? ...
3rdgeargrndrr wrote: ... 2800/2900 FPS,for 200 grainers, IMHO, is too lofty a goal for this gun. I haven't seen any real data yet that would allow you to hit these speeds, and I don't think the bullets would hold together or have the correct terminal ballistics at that speed, but I could be wrong. ... Also, the concussion/ recoil impulse would be close to unbearable I would surmise. Really, I don't know what you are planning on hunting, but that would be one insane round. ...
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:it's going to be hard to say what those 200 grain rascals are capable of, but I do know that in order for me to push my 230 grain FMJ MagTechs at 2500 FPS, I'm exceeding SAAMI specs for the 450 Bushmaster. ...

I managed to push the 200-grain FTX bullets at 3000 fps, as reported in my "suicide run" thread from last October. I'm sure I was well above SAAMI max pressure for the cartridge, which is relatively low to keep things safe with the AR platform. My bolt rifle handled the test pressures, with an absence of usual signs of excess pressure. My other bolt rifle in 450B thought the loads were a too warm. The bullets held together in flight at 3000 fps. However, this velocity is well above their design limits, and the bullets came apart rapidly and dramatically in water and other test media.

I slowed the 200-grain Barnes pointed XPB 460 copper bullet to 2750-2800 fps, and in a bolt rifle it took a smaller pig handily as I noted in my post on the "trophy" sub-forum.

3rdgeargirnderr is correct; these velocities are likely not attainable safely in the AR rifles.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat May 23, 2015 10:44 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Since Tim is not around right now, I'm going to step in here and back up Pitted Bores' assertions. I'm also going to add that There's only three powders that I would recommend with the 450 Bushmaster cartridge for newbies.
#1 on the very top of the list.... LILGUN.
#2 and one you had better respect.... 296
#3 is one used mainly for heavier bullets over 275 grains.... 1680.
Anything else, well... You would be better off leaving them alone.
If you study the data contained on this forum, these are the only three powders that get serious attention right now. If you are new to the cartridge, I would strongly suggest that you stay with LilGun and slowly work your loads until you get a good grasp on how this cartridge performs in your specific rifle.
As for the burn rates discussed in the OP, I don't know where you got those numbers but when it comes to safety, the best thing to do is always remember YOUR SAFETY COMES FIRST. From what I've learned so far about this cartridge, I see no reason to tinker with any powders other than the three I've listed. But that's just MY PERSONAL OPINION to keep ME SAFE.

Since Lil Gun is still neigh impossible to find, has anyone updated the info on alternative powders, and if so, are there any other suggestions?

If anyone has a source for Lil Gun, please share, especially if within driving distance of Houston, though I am getting desperate enough to pay the HAZMAT fee for shipping the stuff.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat May 23, 2015 11:48 pm

My last trip to Cabelas they had several bottles of 296 so if you find a few bottles of 296 I'm sure that would work in a pinch you just have to be careful with your pressures.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sun May 24, 2015 8:05 am

If you know anybody who makes runs to San Antonio, there's a fellow who lives there, selling Lil Gun on GunBroker. Otherwise, he will ship, though not cheaply.
Otherwise, as Dawg said, W296 would be my second choice behind Lil Gun. Also Alliant MP300 is an unsung hero, though H110 probably has more data on it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Tue May 26, 2015 11:08 pm

I have seen Lil Gun behind the shelf at my LGS. Along with Varget as well. If you can be more patient it will show up just keep your eyes peeled
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby GerryU » Sun May 31, 2015 9:39 am

For those in Michigan, Jay's in Clare has lilgun on the shelves $23.49 lb.
GerryU

Postby Al in Mi » Sun May 31, 2015 10:36 am

did they happen to have H110/296 or 300MP?
Al in Mi

Postby GerryU » Sun May 31, 2015 9:47 pm

Al,
Next time I'm there I'll check for you
GerryU

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b