Couple of Questions.

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Couple of Questions.

Postby Kibble » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:37 pm

1) I know I saw this on here somewhere and now can't find it, but could a 284 win sizing die be used along with a 45 ACP expander, bullet seater, and taper crimp to load 450B?

2) I saw a lot of information on loading cast bullets, but is anyone having issues with cast bullets in an AR? I'm thinking there could be some issues with shaved lead at the gas port that could lead to clogging.
Kibble

Re: Couple of Questions.

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:14 am

Kibble wrote:1) I know I saw this on here somewhere and now can't find it, but could a 284 win sizing die be used along with a 45 ACP expander, bullet seater, and taper crimp to load 450B?

I think you read this from the calguns forum in the beginning of loading for the 450.the case dimensions according to my Hornady manual would indicate that, yes, you can use a 284 sizing dies. 45acp dies should work if you can set them high enough.
If you are starting from scratch, I would highly advise just getting the 450bm set as a dedicated dies set.

Kibble wrote:2) I saw a lot of information on loading cast bullets, but is anyone having issues with cast bullets in an AR? I'm thinking there could be some issues with shaved lead at the gas port that could lead to clogging.

I dont remember reading about any observed leading issues, and I have some experience with lead, and have had no gas tube fouling. I shoot 22lr lead out of my 223 all the time and have had no fouling issues. The problem with lead for me was the accuracy just was not there, as the velocities attainable with the 450 are more suited to jacketed projectiles.
the port pressures should be high enough to blow out any lead buildup and inhibit major fouling. Normal loads should definitely blow out all the lead. If there is leading, there is probably something wrong with the gun.

$0.02
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby Colohunter » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:06 am

I don't have any experience with the first question, but a little with the second. I have tried a limited amount of lead bullets and powder coated bullets in the 450. So far I haven't had an issue with leading, but have experienced horrible accuracy. With factory ammo my rifle groups under 1" at 100yds, but with some of the lead loads I couldn't hit the target paper consistently at 50 yds.

I plan to experiment with lead a little more, but will probably try loading down and see if accuracy improves with a slower load.
Colohunter

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:10 pm

3rdgeargrndrr & ColoHunter have some it up quite well.

Any time an all lead bullet goes over 1500-1800fps you can get leading. so, slowing them down might be helpful and if you get into it, we'll all read your posts with Great Gusto!

As for #1 the answer is a resound YES. but be careful and do your end of the bargain. If ya gotta go out and buy dies, then you might want to go ahead and buy the Hornady dies, they are about $100.00 MSRP, but Ebay sees them in the $60.00 range..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Kibble » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:30 am

That was my only concern with cast bullets was the gas port. Now just to get the rifle built, very excited that I can deer hunt at home with a rifle now!!
Kibble

Return to Reloading for the 450b