Hodgdon Leverevelution Powder

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Hodgdon Leverevelution Powder

Postby Colohunter » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:57 pm

Has anybody tried any of this powder? The local sportsmans dowsnt have much powder, but happens to have some of this.
Colohunter

Re: Hodgdon Leverevelution Powder

Postby Hoot » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:50 pm

Colohunter wrote:Has anybody tried any of this powder? The local sportsmans dowsnt have much powder, but happens to have some of this.

I don't recall if anyone ever tried it, but if they did, they'd find the powder that came out the end of the barrel still burning when the bullet hit the target board. IE A good powder, but far too slow for this rifle. Give this Burn Rate Chart a look. A good rule of thumb is anything on it beyond 80 is too slow for this caliber. Lever Evolution is 132 on the list.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:55 pm

Colohunter-

I haven't tried Leverevolution in any cartridge. However, it appears to have an approximate burning rate similar to medium-slow powders. (It's ranked between BL-C(2) and H380 in Hodgdon's list. So, it probably won't burn properly in the 450B case. It might produce a weak "bang", and perhaps get the bullet out of the barrel. It might also not ignite, possibly leaving the bullet stuck in the barrel, with lots of messy powder granules to clean out of the action.

If you try it, let us know what happens.

You might try contacting Hornady or Hodgdon to obtain their opinion. If they respond, could you share their reply with us?

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Colohunter » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks, I ended up getting some IMR 4064 for other rifles. It's hard to find powder locally so I have been trying to branch out a little and find some other suitable powders for the calibers I load. It's nice to be able to have some options when the shelves are barren.
Colohunter

Return to Reloading for the 450b