Load Information for 230gr. Hap

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Load Information for 230gr. Hap

Postby JBT1 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:13 pm

Gentlemen, I'm in need of load information for the Hornady 230gr. HAP bullet's. After searching it appears that the desired powder is lil gun. I just can't seem to locate any, however I do have 2 lbs. of W296 and 7 1/2 primers. I've been using factory ammo on pigs but I'm about out. I'd also like to use this on deer and coyotes. Any info would help out.

Thanks, Jack
JBT1

Re: Load Information for 230gr. Hap

Postby pitted bore » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:11 pm

Jack-
Loading the 450B with Hornady's 230-grain .451 HAP bullet has been described a couple of times in the reloading forum.
Here are links to those threads:

Hornady advertises these bullets as being handgun match bullets that don't expand. I have not tried these myself, but they apparently do expand at 450B velocities on close-range critters.

In the second thread listed above, in his first post forum member MarkCO described these bullets as good performers. However, he modified his description a bit in his second post there, indicating that they might not perform well if they hit bone: "I think if they hit bone, they might grenade as I think they have a softer core than the XTPs or FTXs."

If you want to proceed with hunting using the HAP bullets, you might first try one or two tests of terminal performance. Try the sort-of-standard gallon water jug test described several times in this forum. Also, try shooting the bullet into really tightly packed newsprint. This severely stresses a hunting bullet, and simulates hitting bone. A comparison with an FTX bullet might be revealing. The newspaper test is relatively quick and easy to set up and do.

Should you perform these tests, please post in this forum what they showed about the HAP bullet.

Thanks.
--Bob
[edited for clarity]
pitted bore

Postby JBT1 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:47 pm

Bob, thanks for the quick reply. I've got the plastic jugs ready to go and I'll set some newspapers aside to test as you did in one of your tests. What I was looking for was a good starting point with W296 or H110, (as they are both the same). I ordered the Lyman AR loading manual which should be here by the first of next week. All I have are older manuals that don't list the 450 Bushmaster.

As to hitting bone, I'll let you know on that one. I had five coyotes trying to take one of my steers down last night. Two of which won't be bothering my cattle again.

Thanks for the help, Jack
JBT1

Postby Hoot » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Jack, the Hornady HAP bullet is supported in QuickLoad. With W296, using a seating depth of 2.05 inches, which is common using standard Hornady 230gr FMJ bullets, 40gr would be a good starting point. Same charge using H110, at the same COL. Predicted performance is better with W296.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby JBT1 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:32 pm

Thanks Hoot, for the load data! Just what I was looking for. Bob, I'll post what the out come is when I get some loaded . Might be a couple of days as I have some cattle calving right now and don't want to lose any calf's. Yesterday one had a problem and I had to pull it. I really love being a midwife to a cow :? . With calf's on the ground I've got some long nights ahead due to the coyote situation here. Of course the acorns have started falling so the pigs are coming in big time. I'll be using both the 450 with factory rounds and the 223. with 68 gr. hollow points.

Thanks again for the help. Jack

Really glade I'm retired!
JBT1

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:39 am

We have a trophy wall for critters downed. Especially if you blew it up with the 450 Bushmaster! Please post pics! We are not squeamish here!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to Reloading for the 450b