Thoughts on 4198

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Thoughts on 4198

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:19 pm

I think the twist of the stock 450bm 1:24 isnt low enough to stabilize the really heavy projectiles either. 300grain is probably out of the suitable window,
So even though there is better combustion, there are still some diminishing returns.
To improve your accuracy, make sure you are shooting hardness over brinell 12, gas checked and sized appropriately 0.001" over bore size.
The best REPEATABLE groups have seen with 300grain jacketed is right around 1.5" .
I am not the greatest shot and this weight has been very forgiving - for me this is very adequate,
from my understanding, the 458 socom has a 1:14 twist, and 405grain hard cast gas checked is netting no more than 2 moa, at 1400-1700 fps.
if you want accuracy out of the 300 grainers then try the magnum jacketed projectiles, which have recently hit the market again after drying up for over half a year
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Re: Thoughts on 4198

Postby wildcatter » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:57 pm

3rdgeargrndrr wrote:I think the twist of the stock 450bm 1:24 isnt low enough to stabilize the really heavy projectiles either. 300grain is probably out of the suitable window,
So even though there is better combustion, there are still some diminishing returns.
To improve your accuracy, make sure you are shooting hardness over brinell 12, gas checked and sized appropriately 0.001" over bore size.
The best REPEATABLE groups have seen with 300grain jacketed is right around 1.5" .
I am not the greatest shot and this weight has been very forgiving - for me this is very adequate,
from my understanding, the 458 socom has a 1:14 twist, and 405grain hard cast gas checked is netting no more than 2 moa, at 1400-1700 fps.
if you want accuracy out of the 300 grainers then try the magnum jacketed projectiles, which have recently hit the market again after drying up for over half a year

Ditto's!!

And many thanks goes to the 3rdgeargrndrr! He is absolutely right! Twist Must be a consideration, here! with a 24t being better suited for the bullets 275gr and lighter, with the 200-230's being the sweet spot or better said, in the Hoot/Dawg zone!!

I'm building a 450b for me to shoot everything from 325 grainers and heavier and I'm starting with a 16t first. I'll prolly start with 296 first, but I could end up at 4198 and slower, we'll see. Don't get me wrong, I think it's tough to beat the Over-All mission profile of the 230gr FMJ-FP's and for accuracy, how can we beat the 250gr Flex-Tip, plus it kills everything??..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b