A Hundred Bucks plus Shipping

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

A Hundred Bucks plus Shipping

Postby Hoot » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Will get you this much fun:

And now, finally, we can all accessorize our hunting trips! :lol:

The most recent 250 FTX's (greenish tips) are by far the best finished I've seen. While that does not translate to performance, it's a good start. I hope to have a range report up soon. With the advent of cooler temps (down in the 30s at night), my mind turns to white tail hunting. Even though everyone at work has had their vacations cancelled until February, I plan on re-certifying the Barnes 200 XPB for my new barrel. So far, none of my old barrel's recipes have transferred to it, tit for tat. That is, using 100 yd, 5-shot group size as a metric. Close, but no cigar.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: A Hundred Bucks plus Shipping

Postby wildcatter » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:47 pm

Hoot wrote:
The most recent 250 FTX's (greenish tips) are by far the best finished I've seen. While that does not translate to performance, it's a good start. I hope to have a range report up soon. With the advent of cooler temps (down in the 30s at night), my mind turns to white tail hunting. Even though everyone at work has had their vacations cancelled until February, I plan on re-certifying the Barnes 200 XPB for my new barrel. So far, none of my old barrel's recipes have transferred to it, tit for tat. That is, using 100 yd, 5-shot group size as a metric. Close, but no cigar.

Hoot

Hey John,

About your new barrel not doing as well as the old, did you change the twist??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:41 pm

wildcatter wrote:Hey John,

..t

Ass - u - Mehaw Mehaw Mehaw

When I ordered the barrel I asked for 20" CrMo, standard Bushmaster barrel with a rifle length gas port and a muzzle brake thread. I assumed that meant a 1:24 twist. Apparently that was not what Trident thought as I just measured mine using the patched jag method. The shaft completes one revolution in 16.19 inches.

Gee, I wonder why the recipes don't match up? :roll:

Going to crawl in bed and curl up in the fetal position now.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:01 pm

Yeah, but that's very good for the 325gr Barnes Busters at "flatten-the-primer" pressures! ;)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:51 am

commander faschisto wrote:Yeah, but that's very good for the 325gr Barnes Busters at "flatten-the-primer" pressures! ;)

That's supposed to console me right? Me, the guy who relishes in lighter, faster 450b loads...

Hoot :(
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:24 am

image.jpg
image.jpg (43.31 KiB) Viewed 14272 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby pitted bore » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:55 am

commander faschisto wrote:Yeah, but that's very good for the 325gr Barnes Busters at "flatten-the-primer" pressures! ;)

Hoot & c.f.-
Actually, the faster twist is really good for longer bullets at not-so-speedy velocities.

On the original 450B calguns thread, way back when on May 19, 2009, wildcatter posted the formula relating twist rate, velocity, and bullet rpm:
MV X 720/Twist Rate = RPM; MV is measured in fps, twist rate in inches per turn, and 720 converts feet to inches and seconds to minutes.

If a bullet needs some particular rpm for stability, then it can be achieved with trading off twist rate and velocity. Determining the rpm needed for stability is a whole dissertation. The point here is that Hoot's faster twist doesn't require as much grunting and straining to pop out longer bullets with rotational stability.

I"m sure this makes him feel better.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:43 am

Hoot wrote:
wildcatter wrote:Hey John,

..t

Ass - u - Mehaw Mehaw Mehaw

When I ordered the barrel I asked for 20" CrMo, standard Bushmaster barrel with a rifle length gas port and a muzzle brake thread. I assumed that meant a 1:24 twist. Apparently that was not what Trident thought as I just measured mine using the patched jag method. The shaft completes one revolution in 16.19 inches.

Gee, I wonder why the recipes don't match up? :roll:

Going to crawl in bed and curl up in the fetal position now.

Hoot

Well, anyway, it's good to know I called it, but then even a broken Clock...dah, dah, dah...

You prolly will get exceptable accuracy out of those 200's, if Minute-of-Grizzle is the goal and they'll certainly kill anything you want to kill, I mean the 450b is VERY forgiving (As in you can blow the shot, use the wrong ingredients, and still kill the target BANG-FLOP!). BUUTTT, knowing your propensity for all things going straight and true, the 200's may not live up to your standards, with that particular twist/bullet combination.

Do you still have some of those 300's? Might want to try that and better yet I like the 325gr FTX-.458" Squashed down of course or better-better yet I love the Hornady .458-350grFP's shrunk down. Of course the 325gr Barnes Buster's are about the best bullet ever devised (designed by me, for Barnes) and might shoot very well indeed out of that barrel, assuming one does not want to resize .458's.

I guess what I'm saying, is using the ever stalwart 230gr Ball Bullets and lighter, prolly won't give you the results you desire. Meaning, that barrel just might become your African Plains Gun.

As an after thought, if you certify that barrel with the heavies, somebody here will prolly want to buy it and then consider going to the Green Mountain Barrel CO., Web Sight, and picking up a 32twist .452" (SKU BX45C $88.00 - http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/25-round-b ... iber-colt/) taking it down to a Machine Shop and Bingo you have a barrel bettered suited for 230-grainers and lighter. That ought to make those 200's sing??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

this one's for Hoot

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:36 pm

Hey Hoot,
I Put some Zombie Slayers to good use.

CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby Hoot » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:53 am

You were right. Those do look cool peeking out of that cylinder!

Hoot
Hoot

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b