Be On The Lookout

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Be On The Lookout

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:32 am

As the title says, Be on the lookout for Barnes 200gr XPB bullet clones made by Copper Only Projectiles sold by Midway. They have been "coming soon" for something like two years. :roll:

I had an email alert on record with Midway for them. Last night, after I went to bed, I finally got an email that they were in stock, in limited supply. By this morning, when I read the email, they were all gone. So a lot of folks who read their emails more frequently than me, must have been waiting as well. The good news is the stream may be starting to flow. IMHO, for North American whitetails, the 200 XPB is the best bullet for the 450b.

Here's a link to some articles I've written on them. Start out with the Water Shot one, then read actual load recipes and results in the others.

At half the cost of Barnes 200gr XPB, the C.O.P. ($9.29/box of 20) bullets may be a good choice as well, so keep an eye out for them.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Be On The Lookout

Postby pitted bore » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Hoot-
Could you post the Midway product number, please? My search skills are decaying, and I cannot find a 200-gr COP bullet on midway's web site.

I found that at higher velocities, the 160-grain bullets by Barnes and General-COP had slightly differing terminal performance. I'm impressed with the 200-grain pointy Barnes XPB, and I'd like to compare it with the General-COP bullet.

Thanks,
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:50 pm

pitted bore wrote:Hoot-
Could you post the Midway product number, please? My search skills are decaying, and I cannot find a 200-gr COP bullet on midway's web site.

I found that at higher velocities, the 160-grain bullets by Barnes and General-COP had slightly differing terminal performance. I'm impressed with the 200-grain pointy Barnes XPB, and I'd like to compare it with the General-COP bullet.

Thanks,
--Bob

Bob, it product number 588143. Here's a Link to them at Midway.

Check the General Bullet web page also. I believe they are the actual manufacturer of C.O.P. Then again, they could just be Barnes production overruns.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby lungingturtle2 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:30 am

Hoot, thanks for the heads-up. While I didn't get the 200 gr. bullets I did score on the 250 gr. c.o.p.'s., Mike.
lungingturtle2

Postby Hoot » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:31 pm

lungingturtle2 wrote:Hoot, thanks for the heads-up. While I didn't get the 200 gr. bullets I did score on the 250 gr. c.o.p.'s., Mike.

Not to be a downer on the 250s but they're more of a low velocity design. They'll still get it done, but they are a massive cavity hollow point.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby lungingturtle2 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:20 pm

Not a problem, if they group well the biggest thing I'll be shooting here in Illinois will be coyotes. Always looking to find something that shoots better. I have the hornady 230 HAP's that I haven't had the chance to test yet. The summer is getting away from me, I haven't even been out to shoot my muzzle loaders yet (that I haven't shot in 20 yrs.) in preparation for ML season this year.
lungingturtle2

Postby pitted bore » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:49 pm

Hoot wrote:Bob, it is product number 588143. Here's a Link to them at Midway.

Check the General Bullet web page also. I believe they are the actual manufacturer of C.O.P. Then again, they could just be Barnes production overruns.

Hoot-
Thank you. I could not find them when I tried to drill down from the top reloading supplies page. I failed to look at the 460 bullets listed under handgun bullets. Oddly, Midway lists the Barnes 200-grain & 275-grain 460 S&W bullets under the usual 451"-454" heading, but puts the two COP 460 S&W bullets into their own category.

I'm sure you're correct in considering General Bullets as the origin of the COP bullets. I was pretty sure of this after working with the 160-grain solid copper bullets from Barnes and General a couple of years ago. The construction of General-COP bullets differs significantly from Barnes'; I'm pretty sure the COPs are not Barnes' over-runs.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:46 pm

I got that notification too. Way too late by the time I read it.
:( :(
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby texrider » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Midway shows in stock as of now. Of course I got the notification 2 hours after I had just placed an order. :evil: I did order a couple boxes though cause Hornady is about all I can find locally.
texrider

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:01 pm

Midway sent notification of in-stock C.O.P. 200 grain, .452 boolits this afternoon:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/588143 ... -box-of-20

They also have Barnes 200 grainers in .451 diameter in stock at the moment...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/179484 ... ubv1179484
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b