Rock Chuckers on sale again at Midway

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Rock Chuckers on sale again at Midway

Postby Hoot » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:01 am

Jim in Houston wrote:...snip... I purchased a .50 cal chamfering and deburring tool, which is easier to use on the .45 cal cases...snip...

That's a really good tip folks!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Sesshoku » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:43 am

Sorry if these questions are getting old as I'm sure many of you have answered them in the past. Unfortunately, I'm laid up due to ankle surgery, so I have a lot of time on my hands to research, to think and to second guess myself. Anyway, trying to do my due diligence, I have to ask: Would I be wasting my money by going with a Lee kit to get started reloading?

I really like what I've read and seen about the RCBS Rock Chucker system, and I think that's the direction I'm strongly leaning toward. But that Lee kit costs significantly less and the savings might allow me to add a tumbler and other items to my start up kit. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" but the cost difference really makes me wonder if the Lee kit would suffice for the limited loading I currently plan to do. Then again, I don't want to have to replace presses in a couple of years because I didn't spend the money the first time around.

Chad
Sesshoku

Postby Hoot » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:06 am

Sesshoku wrote:Sorry if these questions are getting old as I'm sure many of you have answered them in the past. Unfortunately, I'm laid up due to ankle surgery, so I have a lot of time on my hands to research, to think and to second guess myself. Anyway, trying to do my due diligence, I have to ask: Would I be wasting my money by going with a Lee kit to get started reloading?

I really like what I've read and seen about the RCBS Rock Chucker system, and I think that's the direction I'm strongly leaning toward. But that Lee kit costs significantly less and the savings might allow me to add a tumbler and other items to my start up kit. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" but the cost difference really makes me wonder if the Lee kit would suffice for the limited loading I currently plan to do. Then again, I don't want to have to replace presses in a couple of years because I didn't spend the money the first time around.

Chad

I began with a Lee Anniversary Kit system and it served me well for over 20 years. After that, I upgraded my press to the Lee Classic Cast and only recently added a Rock Chucker. Uness you're swaging your own bullets, the Anniversary Kit is quite a good starting point. Not sure if the quality is the same 30 years later, as it was when I got mine though. Seems like everbody is cheapening their product lines.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:15 am

I don't have a Lee press, but I own several die sets from Lee and also a bunch of crimp dies and other accessories. Best advice that I could give is to put your hands on the presses that you're interested in. I know Cabelas has display units out and you can bet every Tom, Dick and Harry has put their mits on those displays, so getting an idea of what a broke in press is going to feel like to you a year down the road is a sure bet. Just look for side to side slop in the parts. There shouldn't be any. My old RockChucker is still solid and it's over 30 years old.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BW460 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:41 pm

I have a Lee turret and a Lee single stage press. I have loaded several thousand rounds on them. They work and I have never had any problems with them. With that said, I wish I had a Rock Chucker! Its just a more solid tool than the Lee.
BW460

Postby GerryU » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:54 pm

The Lee Classic Cast is as solid as the Rock Chucker, and has a much better deprimer catch system.
The weak spot on the RC is it spits spent primers all over the floor. On the Classic it drops down the ram into a tube and in the trash can if you so wish.
As far as everything else, its a close match, just not as $$$.
(Opinions vary, mine is Worth what you paid for it) But I have both and like the classic for the reason above.
Both are good presses.
GerryU

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:09 pm

Hoot wrote:
Jim in Houston wrote:...snip... I purchased a .50 cal chamfering and deburring tool, which is easier to use on the .45 cal cases...snip...

That's a really good tip folks!

Hoot

High praise, indeed. Thx Hoot.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b