First ,hello all I'm new to 450 BM

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

First ,hello all I'm new to 450 BM

Postby Willy5 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:48 pm

Two weeks ago I purchased a Trident armory 450 BM. Billet upper 20 inch ported barrel well just what it looks like on their site. I have put three boxes 60 rounds of the hornady 250 ftx ammo through it and was not real impressed with it, 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at a hundred yards. So to the reloading bench I went, not a whole lot of info out there and I found this site after I loaded some up. My reloads put 5 shots in 3/4 of an inch or less at 100 yards off the bench in a lead sled, I am very pleased with them. My question is without chronoing them and I know there are a lot of variables, but has anyone reloaded 225 ftx with 39.5 grains h110, 2.12 col .476 taper crimp and shot them through a chrono ? Just looking for an aprox fps, I plan on deer hunting with this setup and would like know.

Thanks
Willy5

Re: First ,hello all I'm new to 450 BM

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:29 pm

Welcome WillyS! Glad to have you here! Question. What is the twist rate of your barrel?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Colohunter » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:01 am

Welcome to the electronic campfire!
Colohunter

Postby Ghost Dog » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:01 pm

Welcome
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Willy5 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:25 pm

The twist is 1:16, also they say you can shoot +p ammo how much hotter is +p in 450 BM. I reload for three other rifles and four pistols, but there is lots of info on them to start with this might take me a little longer to figure out. This site has the most info I could find on the 450, always nice to get and share info. I do have a chronograph, maybe I can shoot some over it this weekend and answer my own question. I hope it is at least 2200 to 2300 fps, because it printed nice groups.
Willy5

Postby texrider » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:51 pm

Welcome. I have the same barrel, but in 18". I got some nice groups at 100yds with factory loads though, so go figure. Stock quickload shows to be ~2300fps. I just got the QL though so still new. Hoot says its always less until you tweak it(he should be along shortly). Probably 100-200fps less than what it is showing me. Still in testing phase here, but hope to report soon.
texrider

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:29 pm

I don't know about the trident barrels, but Hoot had one and he could tell you more about them and their performance with that twist. As for +P ammo. I don't know of a manufacturer anywhere that produces +P ammo for the 450 Bushmaster.
Hornady has only one offering, the 250 Grain FTX and Remington also has one or two offerings. Neither of which are +P. So I don't know what that claim is based on, (unless they are referring to reloads). I do know that the Hornady Factory load is capable of cutting a ragged hole at 100 yards if you do your part and your optics are rock solid. Don't always blame the rifle first. Be sure that your optics are capable of the mission and that they are mounted properly. Cheap optics and poor mountings can also be a cause for errant groupings.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:12 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I don't know about the trident barrels, but Hoot had one and he could tell you more about them and their performance with that twist. As for +P ammo. I don't know of a manufacturer anywhere that produces +P ammo for the 450 Bushmaster.
Hornady has only one offering, the 250 Grain FTX and Remington also has one or two offerings. Neither of which are +P. So I don't know what that claim is based on, (unless they are referring to reloads). I do know that the Hornady Factory load is capable of cutting a ragged hole at 100 yards if you do your part and your optics are rock solid. Don't always blame the rifle first. Be sure that your optics are capable of the mission and that they are mounted properly. Cheap optics and poor mountings can also be a cause for errant groupings.

There will be NO more +p ammo, of any kind, with a Saami Spec.

Sometime ago Saami nixed the +p moniker. I forget just now why they did it but they did.

So, there is "NO" 450b +p as there is no +p anymore. That is with Saami Blessings..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:57 pm

Willy5 wrote: ... My question is without chronoing them and I know there are a lot of variables, but has anyone reloaded 225 ftx with 39.5 grains h110, 2.12 col .476 taper crimp and shot them through a chrono ? Just looking for an aprox fps, ...

Willy5-
I have not worked much with the 225 FTX. It's likely that Hoot will be along with some comments soon.

For your particular powder and bullet, the Lyman AR Reloading Handbook shows:
38.0 grains => 2008 fps
41.2 grains => 2249 fps

Specifics of the Lyman test load: Hornady cases, CCI #41 primers (equivalent to CCI 450 small rifle magnum), 16" bbl by Bushmaster, 1-in-24" twist, 2.122" col.

Please post results of your tests.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby GerryU » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:36 pm

+P ammo refers to Tridents own ammo that you can purchase through their website. You can see the particulars of their loading there.
GerryU

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b