cci400 primers

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

cci400 primers

Postby captaalloway » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:24 am

I am going to give .450 reloading a try? The obvious stated, the only primers I can find here (an island in SE Alaska) are cci400! I have Hornady brass & Hornady 250gn jhp. I'll be using Lil' Gun and IMR 4227 powders. Problem is my reloading data, Lyman AR handbook calls for cci #41. I know the difference between the two. But with proper primer seating and judicious care in bullet seating and crimp.......... Could the 400s be used?
Thanks
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, freedom is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!" Ben Franklin
captaalloway

Re: cci400 primers

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:44 am

Some members use CCI 400 primers and I will let them chime in. I've never used hardened primers in over 2000 450b reloads. I'm not certain it is as important as when shooting Full Auto 5.56, WRT slamfiring. To each his own though. I do meticulously clean my primer pockets with each reload using one of These to maintain the proper primer seating depth. That set is another example of a great value much like a Ross Schuler brake is. At the rate that it is aging and given there are cutters on both ends, I suspect the set will last me the rest of my reloading days.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Colohunter » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 am

I have used CCI 400 and Wolf Small Rifle primers in 450, 223, 6.8 and 300 Whisper loadings, all for the AR-15. I have never had an issue with slam-fires or any other problem.
Colohunter

Postby pitted bore » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:17 am

captaalloway-
Welcome to the forum!

I would use the CCI 400 primers without second thoughts.

Hornady and Western Powder Co. used Winchester Small Rifle (WSR) primers in developing their published data, and I'm not aware that there is much difference between the CCI 400s and the WSR primers in terms of "strength" of ignition.

If you haven't already looked at it, a careful study or small rifle primers has been posted here: Small Rifle Primer Study. The work is a half-dozen years old, but I don't think there have been significant changes in the primers since then. The lengthy background in the article is interesting too.

Hoot evidently confused the CCI 400, a standard SR primer, with the CCI No.41, which is the mil-spec ("hard cup") version of the CCI 450, a magnum strength SR primer. I'm not sure why Lyman used them in doing their loading data development. I've used the No. 41 at times, mostly because I had them available and left over from other work. The CCI No. 41 and 450 primers, along with the Rem 7-1/2, may be called for when using some ball powders known to be more difficult to ignite, or if shooting in really cold weather. If you stick with the published loads there should be no difficulties in using the CCI 400s. If you do experience any problems, it will be helpful if you will describe them on the forum.

Thanks.
-- Bob
pitted bore

Postby texrider » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:01 pm

I have noticed a difference in the flattening of the primers in all the small rifle that I reload for the AR. I have only used the CCI 400 and the CCI BR4. The 400s will flatten out for me a lot more than the BR4s for the same load in whatever caliber I load them in. I did have one primer get pierced with a 6.8 SPC heavy load. So that could be a problem for you if go heavy in the 450.
texrider

Postby captaalloway » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:00 am

Thank you all for taking a moment to help a "nubie" with what is turning into an outstanding activity
I've gone through 40 rounds ........ and I'm still here. :)
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, freedom is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!" Ben Franklin
captaalloway

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:29 pm

Welcome to our addiction.... :mrgreen:
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:54 pm

pitted bore wrote:captaalloway-
Welcome to the forum!

I would use the CCI 400 primers without second thoughts.

Hornady and Western Powder Co. used Winchester Small Rifle (WSR) primers in developing their published data, and I'm not aware that there is much difference between the CCI 400s and the WSR primers in terms of "strength" of ignition.

If you haven't already looked at it, a careful study or small rifle primers has been posted here: Small Rifle Primer Study. The work is a half-dozen years old, but I don't think there have been significant changes in the primers since then. The lengthy background in the article is interesting too.

Hoot evidently confused the CCI 400, a standard SR primer, with the CCI No.41, which is the mil-spec ("hard cup") version of the CCI 450, a magnum strength SR primer. I'm not sure why Lyman used them in doing their loading data development. I've used the No. 41 at times, mostly because I had them available and left over from other work. The CCI No. 41 and 450 primers, along with the Rem 7-1/2, may be called for when using some ball powders known to be more difficult to ignite, or if shooting in really cold weather. If you stick with the published loads there should be no difficulties in using the CCI 400s. If you do experience any problems, it will be helpful if you will describe them on the forum.

Thanks.
-- Bob

2x..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:13 am

I've got about 5K of the CCI #41 primers. I intend on using them for 5.56 and 450 Bushmaster when my WSRs finally run out.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:28 am

Possibly may not ignite in the lower charge loads, so make a few at a time and ladder test them.
This is the first time I have heard of Lyman publishing loads for the 450. :D
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b