300 gr Jacketed Projectiles ??

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 300 gr Jacketed Projectiles ??

Postby BamBam » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:14 pm

wildcatter wrote:
Hoot wrote:
BamBam wrote:Thanks all for the extra info, it will give me more options to play with once I get farther into the 450b.

What kind of max velocities have been reached with the 300 XTP Mag ? Any separation issues ?

I am going to start out slower with 4227 as I have about 10lbs of it left, but will eventually play around with other powders and look for upper limits

(My MMMV and I alone am responsible for anything I do with anything I reload, etc .... ) :ugeek:

According to Quickoad. Loading the 300 XTP Mag to 2.21 inch OAL and using a maximum SAAMI recommended charge of 38.8gr, the bullet will leave a 20" muzzle at 2011 fps and blow 1 gr of unburned powder out of the barrel since as already discussed, H4227 is a little slow. With the shorter, 16" carbine barrel, that velocity drops to 1929 fps and you blow 2gr of unburned powder out of the barrel. In my work with the 300gr XTP Mag, I could only load it out to 2.21 inches OAL before it ran into the rifling. A barrel with a longer cut leade could allow you to load it out to the full 2.26 OAL, though that would only allow using so little more powder as to net you about 20 more fps.

Hoot

Sounds like a great candidate for a "LeGendre Side Crimp". Get things AH-Cook'en before the bullet leaves the case..

..t

Oh I'm sure I will work up to that point eventually ......... :mrgreen:
Ted Nugent For President 2016

BamBam

Postby Hoot » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:57 am

wildcatter wrote:Sounds like a great candidate for a "LeGendre Side Crimp". Get things AH-Cook'en before the bullet leaves the case..

..t

That was including using the Legendre Side Crimp. :|
It's even worse using the standard taper crimp, expecially at max COL since you can't hit a cannelure.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:27 pm

Hoot wrote:
wildcatter wrote:Sounds like a great candidate for a "LeGendre Side Crimp". Get things AH-Cook'en before the bullet leaves the case..

..t

That was including using the Legendre Side Crimp. :|
It's even worse using the standard taper crimp, expecially at max COL since you can't hit a cannelure.

Hoot

Yeah, The Taper Crimp works and is far less superior to a Roll Crimp, which we can't use. But here's a little ditty using an inexpensive Cannelure Machine to Place a cannelure anywhere you want it.

Now I sometimes won't use a cannelured bullet and just place my crimp into the straight sides of the existing bullet. This works, but there are some problems with doing it. So, if I can't get enough crimp onto a case using a medium to medium slow powder. Then I actually own one of these CH tools. putting a crimp-groove where I need it and then applying a LeGendre Side Crimp to the outside of the case (the LSC IS far better than a roll crimp, if properly applied, and is necessary for some of the slower powders), usually does the trick..

..t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2NMMTqQdac
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:53 pm

if all you have is 4227, by all means use it. Lil gun is the best powder which will give you 100% burn and best velocity but it's pretty darn rare, at least right now.
I tried 4227 briefly, but ran through my pound pretty fast during ladder testing. I finally found some more, but am saving that for another caliber at this point. Lil gun is probably the best powder, at any bullet weight for the 450, 4227 works decently for heavy loads with 20" barrels.
a 300g xtp with 36 grains of 4227 nets you 1800 fps. things dont get much deader than that

you are quite lucky that the 300g xtp mags are now fairly easy to find. but those 250g blemished ftx on midway hitch a one way ride to hoots house fast, so jump on those right when you see them
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby BamBam » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:42 pm

3rdgeargrndrr wrote:if all you have is 4227, by all means use it. Lil gun is the best powder which will give you 100% burn and best velocity but it's pretty darn rare, at least right now.
I tried 4227 briefly, but ran through my pound pretty fast during ladder testing. I finally found some more, but am saving that for another caliber at this point. Lil gun is probably the best powder, at any bullet weight for the 450, 4227 works decently for heavy loads with 20" barrels.
a 300g xtp with 36 grains of 4227 nets you 1800 fps. things dont get much deader than that

you are quite lucky that the 300g xtp mags are now fairly easy to find. but those 250g blemished ftx on midway hitch a one way ride to hoots house fast, so jump on those right when you see them

I have other powders, but I need to use up some of the 4227. I have a bit over 10 lbs. of it and the only other thing I use it for is 300 Blackout plinkers (m80 projectiles)

I have lil gun but not much so I will save that for latter, I did just find another Lb. of it though locally and I have a bunch of other powder that is too fast for anything but my pistols.
Ted Nugent For President 2016

BamBam

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b