loads for 250xtps

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

loads for 250xtps

Postby Dave selepack » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:11 pm

Has anyone loaded Hornady 250 grain xtps, have H110 - Imr 4227 -LiL gun if any one has any loads it would be helpful. I haven't found any in the fourum. Maybe I just looked in the wrong place. Please I need some help, my upper should be here this coming week. I will give all load data to fourom once I start testing loàds. Thanks guys
Dave selepack

Re: loads for 250xtps

Postby BamBam » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:16 pm

Hornady 9th edition has data for all your powders plus 3 others when used with the 250 gr FTX.

YMMV but you should be able to work something up from that info ...
Ted Nugent For President 2016

BamBam

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:42 am

These projectiles werent designed to handle the speeds of the 450bm and generally we dont recommend full bore loads with these. If you. Run subsonic or slower velocity loads they would most likely work fine.
I have had plated bullets shred through the 450 bore. Look for FTX or Most any MAGNUM projectiles.
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby Dave selepack » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:05 pm

Thank you for information on xtps , had them for awhile will hold off on them. Thank you!!.
Dave selepack

Postby Dave selepack » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:07 pm

P.s. Ted NUGENT WOULD BE A GREAT PRESIDENT!!!-
Dave selepack

Postby BW460 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:07 am

Dave,
If all you are doing is punching holes in paper, I wouldn't worry about using the 250xtp. HOWEVER, if you plan to shoot something that moves, it is a poor choice for the reasons stated above. I seem to remember that Hornady publishes the maximum velocity for the 250 xtp at about 1700 to 1800 fps for proper expansion. For hunting use the XTP mags or the various FTX bullets. There are others, such as the Barnes that would probably be even better, but they get very expensive. Might be worth it for a hunt, though.
BW460

Postby wildcatter » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:59 pm

BW460 wrote:Dave,
If all you are doing is punching holes in paper, I wouldn't worry about using the 250xtp. HOWEVER, if you plan to shoot something that moves, it is a poor choice for the reasons stated above. I seem to remember that Hornady publishes the maximum velocity for the 250 xtp at about 1700 to 1800 fps for proper expansion. For hunting use the XTP mags or the various FTX bullets. There are others, such as the Barnes that would probably be even better, but they get very expensive. Might be worth it for a hunt, though.

However, and something to think about.

For the Performance Envelop, the stated Sweet-Spot occurs, between the ranges of 100yds and 525yds..

And, for me personally, I don't care if the bullet does fail, the caliber won't. Bang-Flop'em with any bullet, period! Of course, you might destroy some meat, with some bullet choices, on some types of animals, witch makes bullet selection, all the more important..

..t

Ps.. This ain't no .458" bullet designed for rifle velocities , which actually, when using the weapon it's currently using (AR15), travels at pistol velocities and WILL-NOT expand at all! Might as well use AP bullets!

OH! I forgot, they have one or two bullets now, that will expand at their reduced velocities.

OK! Maybe three or four bullets!!..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Dave selepack » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:15 pm

Thanks guys, another question when putting the taper crimp do you crimp like you do pistol ammo, a good crimp to secure bullet in casing to get to get equal ignition, I have a new hornady 4 die set
Dave selepack

Postby wildcatter » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:45 pm

Dave selepack wrote:Thanks guys, another question when putting the taper crimp do you crimp like you do pistol ammo, a good crimp to secure bullet in casing to get to get equal ignition, I have a new hornady 4 die set

The taper crimp will, as in the 45acp/9mmNATO etc., see bullet travel in the case. The LeGendre Side Crimp does mitigate that problem allot, but for extreme accuracy it might not be the best idea. But then again, this ain't no Bench Rest Gun, even though there are some here that will argue, with some authority I might add, that I don't know what I'm talking about and they'd be right??

For my uses, I want the side crimp! In fact, I'm experimenting with a new version that so dramatically increases chamber pressure, that I get to use far slower powder to lower the pressures. Then when I bring the pressures back up, the speeds dramatically increase with it..

This is not to be tried, by the Home Experimenter..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Dave selepack » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:36 pm

Thanks wildcatter, is hornady taper crimper from new 4 die set good enough for crimping 250ftx and bullets in that range for the 450, I am kind of a perfectionist , I have loaded for about two years and I just like to do things right,I hope you don't mind my questions, I really am thankful for your knowledge as well as everyone on forum. GOD BLESS
Dave selepack

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b