loads for 250xtps

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: loads for 250xtps

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:57 am

Dave selepack wrote:Thanks wildcatter, is hornady taper crimper from new 4 die set good enough for crimping 250ftx and bullets in that range for the 450, I am kind of a perfectionist , I have loaded for about two years and I just like to do things right,I hope you don't mind my questions, I really am thankful for your knowledge as well as everyone on forum. GOD BLESS

Dave;
Consider that's what the factory uses for their loads. It's fine for most loads. Lighter projectiles, which start moving easier can benefit from a more aggressive crimp such as WC describes. That's all based upon using Lil Gun powder. If you have no choice but to use a slower powder, then you too can benefit from a more retentive crimp, again such as WC describes. IMHO, the biggest drawback with the 250 FTX is their lack of a cannelure. Driving your taper crimp down into a cannelure can add a lot of improvement in retentivity. That's why IMHO, for paper punching with an eye on MOA or less groups, the 225 FTX is a great choice. Almost half the cost of the 250 FTX, Loves Lil Gun, Has a cannelure for crimping into. On Sale at Midway as I type this. WRT using them for hunting. If you sincerely expect your shots to be out around 150yd, then this bullet will not over-expand. Given the poor BC of .452 bullets, they shed velocity like a shuttle cock. The 225 FTX, which is designed for the 45 LC, will be down in that velocity range out at 150yd and beyond. It's going to go splat on a hog's shoulder plate at 30yds though. The ensuing energy transfer induced shock will probably still anchor it long enough for a second round into the tender vittles, or neck. Again, this is my humble opinion. If you just wanna bust white tails, go with the 200 FTX over Lil Gun. Flatter, faster and still brings the same frontal area as the 250. Again my humble opinion. They cost more than the 225s though.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b