Hornady Factory Primed Brass

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Hornady Factory Primed Brass

Postby ARconnect » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:31 am

Okay, sorry if that is an empty teaser - I have not found primed brass for sale. In fact, I have been searching every site I can find for Hornady 450B brass of any sort and everyone who lists it shows it out of stock and no back order (which I think means they have no idea when they may receive some). I have been looking since I ordered my upper in May and still none to be found. So, I resigned myself to buying the Hornady 250 grn FTX factory loads. I have only run about 6 rounds through my 16" 450b, but they seem to do pretty well. My problem is, I can't hunt with these bullets - I'm in a non-lead state.

I currently have 4 boxes of the Hornady stuff (less the 6 rounds I fired). Somehow, going out and firing off the remaining 74 rounds just to retrieve the brass for reloading with copper seems wasteful, to my nature. Don't get me wrong, I like shooting, but generally want to have a purpose to it.

SO, here are my questions:
1) Is there any reason I couldn't pull the bullets from the Factory rounds and reload the primed brass? I am thinking this one should be a no-brainer, but welcome your thoughts.
2.0) (I'm thinking this one may be a bit dicey) Any reason I couldn't use the same powder that came in the Factory round? Say I replaced the 250 grn Hornady FTX with a Barnes 250 grn XPB, or Copper Only Projectiles' 250 grn 454 Casull bullet. I know all-copper rounds are longer than lead core bullets of the same weight, so barrel friction is different - do you think that difference would be enough to put me out of the safe zone for pressures?
2.1) Could I weigh the powder charge of the factory powder, back down a few grains and then work up from there (using the factory powder)?
2.2) If the immediate above approach seems reasonable, and I really would rather load for 200 grn Barnes XPBs designed for the .460 S&W, could I back off the factory powder weight and work up a load for the 200s using the Factory powder? I realize we have no idea what the Factory powder is, so no way to predict it.

Are these crazy ideas and I'm going to blow my bleepin head off if I try it, or is there some merit to it?

So you know, I have been reloading for 30 years: I currently load 6 handgun cartridges from 9mm to 44 mag., and 9 rifle cartridges from .223 to 300 Win Mag. - the 450 B will be my 10th rifle cartridge/caliber. I also reload shotgun, for whatever that's worth. I am familiar with pressure signs, and will be extra diligent with the 450b. I have read all of the 450-b thread on CalGuns.net and much of what is here regarding reloading this cartridge. I have worked up loads for at least a dozen rifles, including the 6.5 x 284 - fortunately, I found an accurate loading for that one comfortably below the max. powder charges.

So,, please tell me what you think, and thanks for reading this.
ARconnect
From the Land of the Bullet Button, 10 Rnd Max Cap Mags, and Lead-Free Fodder. But this place would be Paradise without the Politicians.
ARconnect

Re: Hornady Factory Primed Brass

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:06 am

If you've been reloading for 30yrs, you know the gig. Pull those 250s and that would go best if you have a collet puller as opposed to an inertial (hammer) only because you have less chance of losing a grain or two. Seat the 200 XPB on the same charge and taper crimp down into the driving band groove to .474 measured as close to the mouth as possible with an accurate micrometer (not inexpensive caliper). They will do the trick!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby ARconnect » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, Hoot. I've never had any trouble finding brass for anything I ever loaded before, so always bought my components and worked up loads starting with the tables in one of my manuals. But always knew what my powder was.

I'm swamped with work right now, but I'll post the results when I can get the reloads done and find some range time.

Thanks again.
ARconnect
From the Land of the Bullet Button, 10 Rnd Max Cap Mags, and Lead-Free Fodder. But this place would be Paradise without the Politicians.
ARconnect

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:14 am

Really need to lobby Hornady to load their GMX bullet in a factory offering, like a 200 and 250gr be nice :D

But like Hoot mentioned, faster option would be pulling and reseating the Barnes.
Al in Mi

Postby ARconnect » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:31 am

I agree - on both counts. Or, Hornady could produce ammo with their MonoFlex bullet. They list it on their site in cal. .458 for the 450 Marlin

Remington lists their Hog Hammer Ammo (which is lead-free), but I can't find any of that either. I've done a little research and so far it appears the last time they ran any was 2013. I can't imagine the scarcity of ammo is helping the sales of their version of the 450B.
ARconnect
ARconnect

Postby wildcatter » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:08 pm

ARconnect wrote:I agree - on both counts. Or, Hornady could produce ammo with their MonoFlex bullet. They list it on their site in cal. .458 for the 450 Marlin

Remington lists their Hog Hammer Ammo (which is lead-free), but I can't find any of that either. I've done a little research and so far it appears the last time they ran any was 2013. I can't imagine the scarcity of ammo is helping the sales of their version of the 450B.

One could take that .458" mono-flex, which is in a 250gr bullet and easily resize it to .452''.

Just a thought..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby ARconnect » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:55 pm

My thought too. I've never cast lead bullets, so no experience and no tools for resizing. Some early posts I've read indicated doubts about resizing solid copper, but then I read another thread on here last night indicating good results. Guess I need to invest in another tool. Anyone have a recommendation on a quality swage? (As mentioned - I have no experience with this aspect of reloading).
ARconnect
ARconnect

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:40 am

I'd just get their 250gr ML bullets and skip the resizing. Shot them last year in the 460 Encore rifle for accuracy, just as good as the 250gr TEZ Barnes I settled on.

Now we need ole Catter to direct his charm on Hornady to add them as a component ;)
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:31 am

20 count boxes of the Barnes 200gr XPB are cheaper than the 20 count Hornady Monoflex ML bullets from what I found around the web. They are plenty of whoop-ass for big whitetails. The 275 XPB may be a better bet for hogs though. They are also less expensive than the Monoflex bullets. Given you would not be plinking with any of them, the cost per bullet should not be much of a factor all the same. I'll be trying some of the 200 XPBs today at the range out of the Bartz Mfg upper.

Al, have you tried one of those Monoflex bullets into water jugs for a side by side expansion comparison?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:41 am

Hoot, not yet. I got that barrel from MGM about 3 weeks before deer season last year and only had time to do some sighters. Been on my "to do" list for this summer but between work and house projects there has been zippo for any shooting this year.
Al in Mi

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b