Golden saber 230

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Golden saber 230

Postby tridentarmory » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:19 am

Hey guys...Now its me who needs an answer...

I usually use heavy hollow points in my personal 450 for hunting.... But recently I had to shoot a Black Bear with a 1911 loaded with golden sabers. They were of the 230 flavor. It worked unbelievably well. 14" of penetration after breaking the spine for a total of 19" of penetration. nearly 100% weight retention and they look just like i pulled them out of ballistic gel...

Has anyone reloaded with these in their 450?
What are your experiences?
If so, Im looking for a few helpers that will assist me in setting some early parameters....
Whats max velocity on the bullet( or rpm) if you'd rather go that way?

looking to build a light bear load for my wifes 450 this year that she enjoys shooting.

As always God bless.... and Keep shooting!
tridentarmory

Re: Golden saber 230

Postby Mort » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:00 pm

What speed are you looking to run these? There is a review of this bullet on Midway that this bullet shows jacket - core separation at muzzle-loader speeds. I must say it is an interesting idea though.

Mort
Mort

Postby tridentarmory » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:28 pm

Honestly I hadn't given it much thought yet...
Here's the story...

I recently got into an accident and have been out of work.
(My bike vs a Cherokee- cherokee won)
I got driven into the shop today for a visit, and was pushing myself around in an office chair-
And ended up in my office fiddling with things I could reach without moving.
This led me to the bullet from my 1911 that I pulled out of that angry blackie last fall-
I've used these as LEO and I know others who swear by them- then my mind went to the load for my wife, and before I could stop myself or do any research, my vidodin filled fingers were already typing the question...
I really like their performance at slow speeds... If it was similar at 1700 if be happy to have Bethany run it!
Before I begin the investigation, I was just wondering if anyone else has done it from the board, who could save me a ton of time....

Just goofing off I guess- got a lot of spare time in the next few weeks!
tridentarmory

Postby Hoot » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:31 pm

IIRC, I posted an image of a 260gr Remington 450b Accutip (greenie) sliced in half and I seem to remember that a fellow member remarked that it looked like a Golden Saber sliced in half. Perhaps they are one in the same and if that is the case, they might hold up to velocities in the 2200fps range. They may explode on impact with tissue at that speed however.

Ooh, found the image links:

Here's compared to the 250 FTX

and the cross section:

and how they flew when shot at 100 yds from a BR setup:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b