Getting started in 2016

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Getting started in 2016

Postby Sesshoku » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:49 pm

Santa was good to me this year. My brand new RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme is inbound. My wife bought me the Master kit ($289 at Midway), and I've put a few other goodies, like an electronic caliper, a set of dies and some other stuff on order so I can get started at the reloading bench. I am really looking forward to learning how to work up loads for my Thumper.

Up to now, I've had great luck with the Hornady factory loads for deer and hogs, but I want to have options. I had been excited about the prospect of getting my hands on the Remington Hog Hammers, but since they have gone back on two years of promising they'd be out and then discontinuing them in .450 BM, I really want to throw some of the Barnes XPB 200 grain bullets down my barrel. For the time being, I plan to look into a class on reloading or possibly sitting down with an experienced loader to learn the right way. After that, don't be surprised if I hurl a bunch of questions at the gurus on this site.

Thanks again to the folks on this forum for being a great resource of help and information.

Happy New Year, everyone! Here's to spending more time in 2016 knocking the sh*t out of stuff .452 inches at a time.

Chad
Sesshoku

Re: Getting started in 2016

Postby pitted bore » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:39 pm

Sesshoku-

Welcome to reloading! We're happy that Santa was able to get all that equipment down your chimney and into your stocking.

Here are some notes of possibly helpful advice.

1. The most critical piece of reloading equipment lies between your ears, and preparing it for the mechanics of reloading is important. With your decision to seek out a class or guru you evidently recognize this. Your Master kit apparently includes the Nosler manual, which has a pretty good section on techniques of reloading. Recent reloading manuals by Hornady and Lyman are also good. Recent outdated editions can be a lot cheaper, but the fundamental techniques are still valid.

2. Some good videos may also be really helpful. Two that come highly recommended are the RCBS DVD, Precisioneered Handloading, and a follow-up DVD from Redding, Advanced Handloading: Beyond The Basics. The advantage these may have over a class or local advisor is that they have been assembled by a panel of experts so you aren't taught by a single possibly quirky individual. The videos above are from corporations that probably really want you to reload safely, so that Santa can keep on bringing their stuff to you. Instructional youtube videos can be hit-and-miss, and your personal safety is not likely to be a first priority with their makers.

3. You might want to consider obtaining publications from the three sources that have published tested reloading data for the 450B. Unlike the posters who give loads on this and other forums, these guys are committed to your safety. These data sources are the Hornady manual (8th or 9th edition), the Western Powder Loading manual #5 (available on line), and the Lyman AR Reloading Manual. The latter has data for several powders with the 200-grain Barnes XPB bullets in which you're interested.

4. Please feel free to "hurl a bunch of questions to the gurus on this site. They'll do their best.

5. I don't see a set of check weights listed in the equipment provided by the Master kit, You might ask Santa for such a set. Check weights can provide much peace of mind when weighing out max charges, and can help you decide whether your beam balance has gone berserk.

6. Finally, please share your reloading experiences, particularly the "oopsies" and the "what-happened-here?" puzzles. I've learned a lot watching others peeing on the proverbial spark plug.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Sesshoku » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:02 pm

Bob,

Thank you for the great advice and information. I have found a reloading class available at the end of this month that is taught by a certified NRA firearms instructor in our area. I'll be registering for it this week. As for equipment, I know there are several items and resources that I will still need to pick up in order to truly get started. I've been putting it off for a couple of years while I decided whether or not reloading was truly for me. Being the type of person I am, very attentive to detail and quality, I have always been interested, and it helped a ton in moving me off center that my wife offered to buy me the starter kit for Christmas.

Once I get through this class and acquire the necessary accessories, I plan to begin reloading for my .450 BM, the .44 Mag single shot rifle my kids hunt with and my .45 ACP. Later, after I get up to speed, I plan to add .223/5.56 NATO, 9mm and possibly .308 loading capabilities.
Sesshoku

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 am

Good choice to start reloading with the 450 BM, as it is a straight wall case, and I have found case prep to be much easier than with a necked case, like the .30-06, which I also reload.

I added the following to my Hornady Lock-n-Load Classic Kit:

• Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ case cleaning kit (vibratory cleaner, cleaning media, polishing liquid, strainer for recovering the media, and bucket)
• Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ impact bullet puller
• 3 additional reloading blocks
• Dies
• A couple of brushes for cleaning the powder measure
• Additional die bushings
• Franklin Arsenal digital caliper
• Plastic boxes to store reloaded rounds (if I run out of the OEM boxes and trays)

I initially did not use any case prep tools, other than the chamfering and deburring tool. For the .45 cal BM cases, I purchased a .50 cal chamfering and deburring tool, which is easier to use on the .45 cal cases. I recently added a Hornady Lock-n-Load Case Prep Trio and the Hornady Cam-Lock Case Trimmer. These really aren't needed for the 450 BM, but come in handy for my .30-06 reloads.

Although you are not using Hornady equipment, I find the videos by Hornady Loader on YouTube to be excellent tutorials on reloading techniques and methodology - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hornady+loader.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:08 am

Jim in Houston wrote:...snip...

• 3 additional reloading blocks

...snip

I like the Stalwart #6 wooden blocks. They're available from many places. The reloading community is not at a loss for sources of reloading blocks, or you can roll your own.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b