Lyman ammo checker

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Lyman ammo checker

Postby expire » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:41 am

Lyman ammo checker. I’m loading for a AR 15 platform and had some issues with cases not being sized properly it’s so forth and I stumbled onto one of these ammo checkers in a catalog somewhere and I ordered it and this is a very handy gauge to check your ammo before you put cartridges in your rifle that could cause feeding or jamming problems I highly recommend this I thought I’d share this info with everyone. Roger
expire

Re: Lyman ammo checker

Postby offrink » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:20 pm

I have them for almost every caliber I reload for. Takes almost no time and save me from mortaring an ar to get the round out.
offrink

Postby s4s4u » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:41 pm

I'm all for tools and such, but unless the ammo checker was cut by the same reamer that cut your chamber it's usefulness is somewhat limited, IMO
s4s4u

Postby Hoot » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:22 am

s4s4u wrote:I'm all for tools and such, but unless the ammo checker was cut by the same reamer that cut your chamber it's usefulness is somewhat limited, IMO

+1 but IMHO not entirely useless, just not optimum.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:27 am

s4s4u wrote:I'm all for tools and such, but unless the ammo checker was cut by the same reamer that cut your chamber it's usefulness is somewhat limited, IMO

generally most of these ammo checkers are cut to SAAMI spec, so while they may not be representative of your chamber, they're representative of what a minimum chamber spec would look like.

so if the ammo "plunks" into the checker, then as long as your chamber is in spec, it will function in your firearm too.

i got introduced to these gauges back in 4/2014 when i picked up one for my blackout, one of the nice slotted ones that Sheridan engineering makes.

https://sheridanengineering.com/product ... on-gauges/

theyre not the end-all-be-all by any means, but theyre a great quick yes/no check tool to know if you're experiencing any issues that might need to be addressed with more detailed measurement taking.
plant_one

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:55 am

+1 on Sheridan !
Al in Mi

Return to Reloading for the 450b