Barnes Busters

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Barnes Busters

Postby generalist » Sat May 28, 2011 8:20 pm

So who has data with the 325 busters? they appear to be avail now.

thx
generalist

Postby wildcatter » Mon May 30, 2011 8:34 am

generalist wrote:So who has data with the 325 busters? they appear to be avail now.

thx

I'm up in the north country of MI., so i don't have the data with me, but I did get them going 2100fps and Barnes settled for a load that was doing nearly 2000fps. After working up loads with lil gun and 296, the initial data seemed to favor AA1680. Barnes kilt several mighty fine heavy porkers, in the 400-800 lb class, with this load, reporting stunning results and railed about the safety factor of having quick follow-up shoots..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bushmeister » Mon May 30, 2011 8:03 pm

So is Barnes going to provide loads for the busters, or at least load data? Not that I've found anything that the Hornady won't kill, but you never know what might come knockin at the door.
bushmeister

Postby wildcatter » Mon May 30, 2011 8:35 pm

bushmeister wrote:So is Barnes going to provide loads for the busters, or at least load data? Not that I've found anything that the Hornady won't kill, but you never know what might come knockin at the door.

Yes, they are supposed to and a phone call to them might get the answer..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Tue May 31, 2011 6:07 pm

bushmeister wrote:Not that I've found anything that the Hornady won't kill, but you never know what might come knockin at the door.

How about Zombie Elephants - "Be Prepared with Barnes Busters in your Bushmaster".

youtube: Zombie Elephant News
Attachments
zombie_elephant.jpg.jpg
zombie_elephant.jpg.jpg (19.24 KiB) Viewed 14236 times
pitted bore

Postby Siringo » Tue May 31, 2011 8:05 pm

I had loaded up some sized/swaged 325 grain Hornady 45-70 bullets a year or two ago. I can not find my post -- but it is there someplace. I used LG and it was around 28.0 to 29.0 grains. iF I RECALL, 29 WAS TOO HOT!!!!! DON'T GO THERE. Anyway, the top velocity I got was around 1800 fps.
Siringo

Postby pitted bore » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:07 am

Siringo wrote:I had loaded up some sized/swaged 325 grain Hornady 45-70 bullets a year or two ago. I can not find my post -- but it is there someplace. I used LG and it was around 28.0 to 29.0 grains. iF I RECALL, 29 WAS TOO HOT!!!!! DON'T GO THERE. Anyway, the top velocity I got was around 1800 fps.

Siringo-
Is this the thread? 325 gr. (.458 to .452) reloading experiment

This seems pertinent to the buster bullets.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Siringo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:53 am

Where was it???. Think I am going blind. Anyway -- it refreshes my memory ---- THANKS!! I kind of forgot about them! 29 grains was not the hottest, but 29.1 grains shot the best -- at 1747 fps. This same bullet in the 45-70 Hornady factory load was 1801 fps in my 20 inch '86.
Siringo

Postby bushmeister » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:52 pm

wildcatter wrote:
bushmeister wrote:So is Barnes going to provide loads for the busters, or at least load data? Not that I've found anything that the Hornady won't kill, but you never know what might come knockin at the door.

..t

Well I sent an email to Ty at Barnes and he replied that there are no plans to load ammo, nor has Barnes "worked with that cartridge" :shock: He did, however, log a request on my behalf. :roll: It seems that since Remington, BM, and Barnes are all Freedom Group, this would be a shoo-in.
bushmeister

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:10 pm

bushmeister wrote:
wildcatter wrote:

..t

Well I sent an email to Ty at Barnes and he replied that there are no plans to load ammo, nor has Barnes "worked with that cartridge" :shock: He did, however, log a request on my behalf. :roll: It seems that since Remington, BM, and Barnes are all Freedom Group, this would be a shoo-in.

Wonder what he meant by "worked with that cartridge". I sent them a gun, this last Fall, and loads, for a Barnes Pig Hunt, you may recall the pics I posted of their success. Of course that was sent to the Ballistics Lab Guys and as is often the case, the front office won't sometimes know what the guys in the back are doing..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b