FTX Bullets Comparison

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: FTX Bullets Comparison

Postby Cdog » Mon May 31, 2010 8:07 am

I posted a reply in the general reloading section which is more suited for this thread I suspect. I'm new to the .450, not new to handloading though so be somewhat gentle with me,please. The .450 is a lot like loading the 45acp with challenges never thought of in the acp. I loaded some 200gr FTX atop 41grs of Lil Gun, using new brass and CCI 450 primers. I seated them to just cover the cannelure and taper crimped to match some factory ammo I had on hand. The results at the range were better than I ever expected. 5 shots under an inch, mild recoil, and very clean brass. I'll have to admit that I've never been in on a caliber this new with so little data before, but it's gratifying to stumble onto such an accurate, well behaved load. I didn't have my Chrony with me, I'll try to get that data next trip. Anyone else have more experience with these bullets? Thanks' CDOG.
CDOG
NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER
HERITAGE FOUNDATION MEMBER
Cdog

Postby Colohunter » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:09 am

I'm a little late in reading this thread, but you have done another excellent write up Hoot! I had been wondering about the 225gr FTX bullets. I figured I would give them a try since they give you a little more bang for your buck compared to the other two. Though I am still thinking I may need to find a little strudier bullet for Elk. Although since I haven't started reloading yet I may just end up using factory ammo this year.
Colohunter

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:34 pm

:) Excellent work and write up... ;)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby jg5254 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:05 pm

GREAT thread! I just joind the forum and am learning alot.. I am glad I found this forum
jg5254

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:31 pm

jg5254 wrote:GREAT thread! I just joind the forum and am learning alot.. I am glad I found this forum

Welcome aboard! :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby docrobby » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:06 pm

How about trying some BarnesBuster 325's? I know that they are all copper but I think that it would be interesting to compare them with the FTX.
Rob
docrobby

Postby Hoot » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:04 pm

docrobby wrote:How about trying some BarnesBuster 325's? I know that they are all copper but I think that it would be interesting to compare them with the FTX.
Rob

Welcome aboard Rob.
You got some? I'll test 'em. I've never bought a bullet that costs more than a dollar apiece. I've mainly concerned my efforts with bullets I would use for hunting in Minnesota, where I live. I'm sure there are folks in this forum who live somewhere, or travel to places where they have a need for that much stopping power and they'll chime in with their experience using them. Siringo gave me one of several heavy weights and I've not taken the time to cut them apart and document them yet. Kinda waiting until the winter sets in for indoor projects to resume. Short sleeve weather is too fleeting up in these latitudes. already less than 6 weeks until frost according to the crickets.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:16 am

docrobby wrote:How about trying some BarnesBuster 325's? I know that they are all copper but I think that it would be interesting to compare them with the FTX.
Rob

Doc, nope they do have a "Hard Lead" core (which most bullets have a pure lead to a 3% antimony core) and super thick jackets (I forget but I seem to remember .060", compared to .010"+- for some of our bullets). They are not meant to expand and the lead keeps their oal shorter than a true solid. I've got a bunch and will be getting more and plan to shotgun them out to selected individuals here, as soon as I can get my equipment up and running. And welcome to the board, my friend..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bushmeister » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:29 pm

Hoot wrote:Welcome aboard Rob.
....already less than 6 weeks until frost according to the crickets.
Hoot

OK, as a deep southerner, I have to ask... What do the crickets do? Start changing the oil in the motor home in preparation for the trip to FL? :lol:
bushmeister

Postby Hoot » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:52 am

bushmeister wrote:
Hoot wrote:Welcome aboard Rob.
....already less than 6 weeks until frost according to the crickets.
Hoot

OK, as a deep southerner, I have to ask... What do the crickets do? Start changing the oil in the motor home in preparation for the trip to FL? :lol:

That too, but mostly they cluster together in vacant parking lots and drive-in theatres and barter for heavy coats, gloves, scarfs, etc. Just like the fleas do. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b