FTX Bullets Comparison

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: FTX Bullets Comparison

Postby docrobby » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:42 pm

I will be glad to send you some once I get back home.
I am currently away on family business.
I will re-contact you in a week or so.
Rob
docrobby

Postby Deer Hunter » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:44 pm

Great job! Thanks for ALL the info.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
Deer Hunter

Postby claimbuster » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:34 pm

Great work and valuable information.

Although not quite as technical, here is a "used" 250 gr. This bullet killed two pigs, completely passing through the first pig and almost completely through the second. Both pigs dead - flop. Distance was 120 yds. +/-. Both pigs were not terribly big, in the 120-130# range. I have not weighed the bullet to check retained weight, I need to do that.

claimbuster

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:13 pm

That's one to hold onto forever. How many folks have the bullet that killed two hogs! Back in 2004, a local fellow killed an 8 and a 7 point buck with a single shot from .300 Win Mag. Heart shot the first one and the bullet broke the neck of the second one feeding next to it. Would you believe the DNR would not let him keep the second one? They said they would not prosecute him for shooting more than his limit. Sheesh, talk about heartless.

Congratulations and quite a testimony to the power of the 450b.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jeepejeep » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:48 am

Fantastic information, thank you!
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby bigboreshooter » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:50 pm

Great thread very informative. How much does the polymer tip weigh? Has anyone pulled a tip and shot anything? Since tip is for tube feeders, can you do away with it and fill hole to make it solid? I'm new here and have lots of questions. I purchased heavy spring, heavy buffer and hydraulic buffer. Am going to do series of test to compare recoil reduction.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby Hoot » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:19 pm

bigboreshooter wrote:Great thread very informative. How much does the polymer tip weigh? Has anyone pulled a tip and shot anything? Since tip is for tube feeders, can you do away with it and fill hole to make it solid? I'm new here and have lots of questions. I purchased heavy spring, heavy buffer and hydraulic buffer. Am going to do series of test to compare recoil reduction.

Some while back, I weighed both sizes and posted the information. You'll have to ferret it out with the search engine. I suspect the results are the same as the XTP Mag hollow points. I do not recall if I shot images of one of them cross-sectioned next to an FTX with the tip out.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby dcbeattie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:42 am

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=742#p4875
Hoot wrote:
bushmeister wrote:Awesome! I wonder how much of the bullet weight lost is the polymer tip? Has anyone weighed it? Nice shooting CB!

The tips from the 200 and 250 FTX' weigh 3 grains and the tip from the more stubby 225 FTX weights 2.5 grains.

Hoot

Did a search for "polymer tip"
Duke Beattie
Are we having fun yet?
dcbeattie

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:52 am

OK. This is primarily for Hoot.

When I ordered bullets from Hornady under their current rebate program, they substituted the 225 gr FTX (45 Colt Rifle #45218) for the 250 gr FTX (450 Bushmaster #45201) bullet. From the preceding thread, it looks like they can be loaded and shot from the 450 BM brass; however, there is no loading data in the Hornady Handbook (8th edition) as to powder weight, and they are also not showing Lil' Gun, which I planned to use. Also, since the 225 gr 45 Colt bullet is shorter than the 250 gr 450 Bushmaster, I am assuming that it is not seated as far in the case to get a cartridge that is the same length as the 450 Bushmaster (C.O.L. 2.225).

So
    Can I use the 225 gr bullets? And if yes, . . .
    What powder weight should be used (for a conservative load)?
    Can Lil' Gun be used?
    Do I need another set of dies for the 225?
    Am I correct about the COL issue?
    What else have I forgotten to ask?

Or should I just see if I can exchange them for the 250 gr bullets?

Help!!!
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby BD1 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:56 pm

I shoot the 225s using two grains more of WC297 than I use for the 250s in cut down .284 brass. I seat to the same OAL, so I'm using a lighter bullet with more case capacity. This data would not correlate to Lil gun in the Hornady brass, but I'd think you could use the 250 grain load data and work up a bit from there.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b