225 FTX - Going the other way too

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 225 FTX - Going the other way too

Postby En4cr » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:38 am

Has anyone used the Wolf 556 primers working up the loads? I have a bunch of the Wlfe primers as they were the only ones that I could find last year. I am getting good groups with the Barnes 70gr TSX and the Wolf primers
En4cr

Postby Siringo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:54 am

I used some Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers with Lil'Gun -- My standard 37 grain load with the 250 FXT and got serious hangfires. Thought I was shooting a flintlock.

They are a very mild primer. The magnum means nothing -- other than a thick primer cup. I don't think they light large volumes of ball powder in the 450 very well. They work great in my 223 and 6.8, but not in the 450B. Maybe they would work with easier to light stick powder.
Siringo

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:14 pm

:) excellent analogy... i was trying to explain the volume differences between case manufacturers and how it affects pressure with compressed loads. i've found that the cases with the most capacity usually have the shortest life span especially when operating in the red zone. 8-)

:? ...not a fan of the wolf primers :| jmho :roll:
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:49 pm

Siringo wrote:I used some Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers with Lil'Gun -- My standard 37 grain load with the 250 FXT and got serious hangfires. Thought I was shooting a flintlock.

They are a very mild primer. The magnum means nothing -- other than a thick primer cup. I don't think they light large volumes of ball powder in the 450 very well. They work great in my 223 and 6.8, but not in the 450B. Maybe they would work with easier to light stick powder.

A Big 10-4. with the computer and tenths of a millisecond intervals, they do act like a flint lock and ignite erraticly and cause spikes where I don't want them.

If you're having good luck then by all means shoot'em, but with the availability that we have now, I'd sell'em and buy Remmy 7 1/2's, you'll be much more happier..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BD1 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:15 pm

"BD, no need to wreck those cases. Seat the bullet with no primer or powder, as normal. Use a hypodermic syringe and fill the case to the primer pocket. Using the needle deep inside the case will get the air bubble out of the case, of course getting the water out to weigh it is tricky, but if you'll weigh the dummy cartridge before and after the fill, you'll get accurate results and won't wreck the case either..

..t"

Now, why didn't I think of that?
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Hoot » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:49 pm

BD1 wrote:"BD, no need to wreck those cases. Seat the bullet with no primer or powder, as normal. Use a hypodermic syringe and fill the case to the primer pocket. Using the needle deep inside the case will get the air bubble out of the case, of course getting the water out to weigh it is tricky, but if you'll weigh the dummy cartridge before and after the fill, you'll get accurate results and won't wreck the case either..

..t"

There is a caveat however. Keep this in mind. All the "excess baggage" weight that you add or subtract from that actual water weight, by virtue of the case and bullet can loose the fine measurement components in the background noise. That's why we use such light pans with our powders scales. Just wanted to mention that, though I doubt a tenth of a grain one way or the other will be a deal breaker. BTW, if you didn't know this already, add a drop of dish liquid to the water you're going to use to reduce surface tension and the tendency for the water to leave droplets behind, stuck to the inside of the case walls. I realize this falls into the category of common sense, but clean out the crud inside the case before using it, assuming it is a spent round case. That includes sizing lubricant and mica. The hardest part is getting your hands on syringe bodies and points. The drug store is narrow minded. Knowing an EMT or a diabetic is a big plus.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:30 am

On the syringe problem: Your friendly local dentist wil have lots of irrigation syringes that don't have needles, but use a curved plastic tip instead, which squirts a tiny stream of water just like a needle. This type is not restricted.

Actually, I have a few of these things, if anybody wants one... :?:
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:54 am

commander faschisto wrote:On the syringe problem: Your friendly local dentist wil have lots of irrigation syringes that don't have needles, but use a curved plastic tip instead, which squirts a tiny stream of water just like a needle. This type is not restricted.

Actually, I have a few of these things, if anybody wants one... :?:

While the folks in the medical professions may look upon you dubiously, you guys may want to consider running by Tractor Supply or any agriculture oriented feed store that sells vet supplies. You can pick up a six pack of 3CC syringes and a pack of 1.25" 22 Gauge needles for livestock use with vaccinations and antibiotics for about five bucks. I raise goats and I have a few packs always on standby with the meds in my fridge. The needles vary. You can get 3/4" up to 1.75" in various gauges. (Note my Avatar).
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:46 pm

Hoot wrote:
BD1 wrote:"BD, no need to wreck those cases. Seat the bullet with no primer or powder, as normal. Use a hypodermic syringe and fill the case to the primer pocket. Using the needle deep inside the case will get the air bubble out of the case, of course getting the water out to weigh it is tricky, but if you'll weigh the dummy cartridge before and after the fill, you'll get accurate results and won't wreck the case either..

..t"

There is a caveat however. Keep this in mind. All the "excess baggage" weight that you add or subtract from that actual water weight, by virtue of the case and bullet can loose the fine measurement components in the background noise. That's why we use such light pans with our powders scales. Just wanted to mention that, though I doubt a tenth of a grain one way or the other will be a deal breaker. BTW, if you didn't know this already, add a drop of dish liquid to the water you're going to use to reduce surface tension and the tendency for the water to leave droplets behind, stuck to the inside of the case walls. I realize this falls into the category of common sense, but clean out the crud inside the case before using it, assuming it is a spent round case. That includes sizing lubricant and mica. The hardest part is getting your hands on syringe bodies and points. The drug store is narrow minded. Knowing an EMT or a diabetic is a big plus.

Hoot

Very true, but my most excellent rcbs 10-10 scale isn't accurate enough to measure the differences.

Maybe it's just me but my druggist just sells me one or ten syringes, any size I want, no questions asked. Maybe telling him you need them for the loading bench, might help???..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:01 am

I finally got around to fixing the broken image links I posted in this thread due to changing ISP a few years ago

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b