The "modifying a Lee 45-70 factory crimp die" thread

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: The "modifying a Lee 45-70 factory crimp die" thread

Postby wildcatter » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:46 am

thebrassnuckles wrote:how are you guys removing the material? are your sending it out to a gunsmith or something or using tools at home?

I use a lathe, but some of these guys are doing a bang up job with hand tools and a kitchen table.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:13 pm

Letting the upper soak in the parts tank...

If you can work scrunched over, the "Poor Mans Vertical Lathe" aka Drill Press and a Dremel tool with fine emery cut-off disks works well. ;)
Run the press at it's lowest speed and with the Dremel standing up on a flat surface, feed it in. Take about 2 disks to shorten each piece. Then, spin 'er up fast and polish off the sharp edges with a piece of scotchbrite pad and/or 600 grit wet-or-dry on an eraser. Wear eye protection.
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:17 pm

Watt-cha buff'en Hoot.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:06 pm

wildcatter wrote:Watt-cha buff'en Hoot?
..t

Totally creepy. :? I come up for a fresh cup of coffee, from buffing WS2 into the parking on my 450b Upper and there's your question on the computer. Now, I'm going back down to look for the X10 camera.
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Wicked Hunter » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:50 pm

I have a question on the LSC. Whats the best time to do the side crimp? Is it before or after taper crimping? Or do you usually not use the taper crimp if using the side crimp?
Wicked Hunter

Postby 9x19MdM » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Hoot wrote:
wildcatter wrote:Watt-cha buff'en Hoot?
..t

Totally creepy. :? I come up for a fresh cup of coffee, from buffing WS2 into the parking on my 450b Upper and there's your question on the computer. Now, I'm going back down to look for the X10 camera.
Hoot

Oh hey, the barn door is open! :lol:
9x19MdM

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:52 pm

Wicked Hunter wrote:I have a question on the LSC. Whats the best time to do the side crimp? Is it before or after taper crimping? Or do you usually not use the taper crimp if using the side crimp?

If the side crimp is near the mouth, it will cause the mouth to flare outward slightly, inviting hanging up on every edge it passes by when stripping and chambering, not to mention some times being so wide as to drag on the chamber going in. For the times when I used a side crimp, I followed it up with a taper crimp to snug the mouth back to the bullet.

Not trying to start another episode of Can you top this?, but after many experiments using the side crimp to greater and lesser degrees, I went back to just the taper crimp because from my experience I got tighter groups using just the taper crimp. My velocity SD went up, but the groups went down. I repeat, I am speaking solely about my own experience off of both a benchrest setup and using a Caldwell Lead Sled I borrowed from my Dad. If you are going to shoot offhand or self-supported other positions, it will not matter. Go for the tighter velocity SD. Also, the added neck tension will allow you to milk higher velocities, using lighter bullets, from the same amount of slower burning powders. It did not have any impact on faster powders like 2400. I have over 1k rounds of different 450B load experiments through my rifle. Every shot and I mean every shot was over a chrony. May sound boring, but it's what I enjoy doing at the range. YMMV.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Wicked Hunter » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:06 am

thanks Hoot I'll load up some rounds both ways and see what i come up with. I'm not a velocity junky. I'd rather go for accuracy, as im sure that deer isnt gonna know if it hit him at 2200fps or 2500fps.
Wicked Hunter

Postby kozmo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:44 am

I don't have mod crimp die using hornaday taper crimp. crimped to .476 load is 35grns lil gun 230 rn and 250 ftx will I have enough crimp on rounds or will I have ignition problems ? have loaded for years on handgun but 450b seems to be new ball of wax. Should I wait till I get a 45-70 die and do the mod. By the way new to 450b and to fourm.
kozmo

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:05 am

kozmo wrote:I don't have mod crimp die using hornaday taper crimp. crimped to .476 load is 35grns lil gun 230 rn and 250 ftx will I have enough crimp on rounds or will I have ignition problems ? have loaded for years on handgun but 450b seems to be new ball of wax. Should I wait till I get a 45-70 die and do the mod. By the way new to 450b and to fourm.

With the 250 FTX, that will work fine. The biggest issue is when you chamber and extract an unfired round several times. The bullet will tend to pull out a little each chambering, so check it if you do that to the same round. Otherwise have at it. I would up the charge two grains. In the case of the 230 RN, seat the bullet until at least half the diameter. IE .452/2=.226. More is better. I believe TSD seats them to 2.05 COL.

Hoot
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b