Unjacketed Lead Bullets for the 450

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Unjacketed Lead Bullets for the 450

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:25 pm

I have found a nearby ranch on which to hunt hogs, but they prohibit jacketed rounds. Has anyone reloaded for the 450 with a lead bullet? There are several made by Hornady and others sold by Midway - http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#45 cal bullets____-_1-2-4_8-16-32_3_16_Demand desc - which would appear to be compatible with the 450 brass.

Anyone know why the jacketed rounds would not be allowed? I assume the lead has more stopping power than a jacketed round, which might go cleanly through the animal without killing it, but in the case of the Hornady round with its "plastic" nose, is this a valid concern?

Are there any serious downsides to shooting unjacketed bullets in the 450 - fouling the barrel with lead residue, for example? Would this be any more of a problem in the 450 than in any other rifle?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Re: Unjacketed Lead Bullets for the 450

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:33 pm

Hmm. So... If you were shooting Barnes solids with no lead, wouldn't
that be considered a "Jacketless" bullet?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: Unjacketed Lead Bullets for the 450

Postby pitted bore » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:18 am

Jim in Houston wrote:I have found a nearby ranch on which to hunt hogs, but they prohibit jacketed rounds. Has anyone reloaded for the 450 with a lead bullet?

Jim-
Some of the forum members have worked with lead bullets. Here are links to some of the threads:
Jim in Houston wrote:There are several made by Hornady and others sold by Midway - http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#45 cal bullets____-_1-2-4_8-16-32_3_16_Demand desc - which would appear to be compatible with the 450 brass.

Your link to a Midway search doesn't work on my browser. Typing in "45 cal bullets" does produce a list of 10 pages, and includes a lot of cast lead .451 and .452 bullets.

Jim in Houston wrote:Anyone know why the jacketed rounds would not be allowed? I assume the lead has more stopping power than a jacketed round, which might go cleanly through the animal without killing it, but in the case of the Hornady round with its "plastic" nose, is this a valid concern?

Is there any chance of some confusion between "full metal jacketed bullets" and "jacketed bullets" between yourself and the ranch people? While all FMJ bullets are jacketed, not all jacketed bullets are FMJs.

I'd work on clarifying what the ranch people think is unacceptable and acceptable. I suspect they're worried about FMJs coming out of the typical 5.56/223 AR rifle. Did you ask whether "soft lead pointed bullets" are OK?

As an aside: I'm pretty sure that your assumption that "lead has more stopping power than a jacketed round" is incorrect as a generalization. Comparisons between various lead bullets, jacketed expanding bullets, and FMJs will lead to a pretty thick book of conflicting opinions. Lead bullets come in different weights, alloys, and shapes; jacketed expanding bullets come in dozens of different weights and configurations; FMJs come in different weights, and shapes. There's a wide range of effectiveness among the different types.

Jim in Houston wrote:Are there any serious downsides to shooting unjacketed bullets in the 450 - fouling the barrel with lead residue, for example? Would this be any more of a problem in the 450 than in any other rifle?

Check the links listed above, to see whether they answer your questions about lead bullets in the 450B.

Let us know how things work out.

--Bob
pitted bore

Return to Reloading for the 450b