450 upper availability

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450 upper availability

Postby Wicked Hunter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:44 pm

UM......I will let James post on the price. I will tell you it is a custom built upper and is not gonna fall into the retail price range of a Bushmaster. As far as the tweeks go he told me it was cycling fine but was beating up the brass more than he or i would like to see. He said all he did was te extractor mod that alot of guys here had to do to there Bushmasters and he also did some honing/polishing of the feed ramp.
Wicked Hunter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:57 am

Wicked Hunter wrote:Thanks for the offer but i went ahead and ordered a custom built upper from Trident Arms. I think i'm gonna be happy i did since they have already worked alot the bugs out of it. It should be at my doorstep early this coming week. I cant wait to shoot it, Just ask JAmes from Trident. I'm like a kid who can't wait for christmas to get here.

You gotta show pictures and give us a report on your first range visit! Don't keep us in suspense!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby RuLins05 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:36 pm

So I've been lurking a while and this thread has pushed to join up. I don't get it to be honest, it seems like rumors of the 450 being discontinued happen once about every 18 months and then it never happens. Everything actually to me seems like nothing is being discontinued, in fact Midways has no listed that they will be selling 450 Bushmaster barrels in both 16 and 20" versions as well as the uppers they already carry. I wonder if it is a strange demented marketing tactic :?:
RuLins05

Postby Wicked Hunter » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:27 pm

I fully intend on taking pictures and doing a range report. James did tell me that he is using Douglas barrels and there will be a slight break-in period. So the first range report may not be what the gun is actually capable of. He is lapping the barrels some but doesn't want to lap to much as the riflings on this caliber aren't as deep as others.
Wicked Hunter

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:58 pm

Wicked Hunter wrote:I fully intend on taking pictures and doing a range report. James did tell me that he is using Douglas barrels and there will be a slight break-in period. So the first range report may not be what the gun is actually capable of. He is lapping the barrels some but doesn't want to lap to much as the riflings on this caliber aren't as deep as others.

Not to worry. My 6.5 Grendel barrel is a Douglas and it put 4 of 5 shots inside a half inch bull at 100 yards right out of the box. The factory finish was and is the best out of the box finish on the bore of any AR barrel I bought so far and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. Expect nothing short of perfect from a rifle and you're more likely to get better results than starting out thinking it needs work to be right. That's not to say, don't clean it thoroughly and lubricate it right out of the box. While it may be up for the task, still clean it more frequently those first few boxes than you'll need to later on. Now my 450b barrel was not a Douglas and I saw it get better out to around 225 rounds. After that, it was pretty much settled down. It is not like yours in that it is chrome lined, but that 200-300 range holds true for many rifles out there. That doesn't mean its like a smooth bore musket until then, but it get easier to clean and doesn't seem to change much from the first cold shot to the last hot one after it is run in. Those are my experiences. the expressions IMHO and YMMV should accompany just about all the advice given out here. You still "pays ya money and takes ya chances". ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby DGV » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm glad I read this after the fact, cause I was one of the guys who got lucky and ordered one of the Bushmaster 16" uppers on sale from Cabelas early this month (when I checked on my order this weekend, I saw that they were already sold out and they weren't even off the backorder list yet).

Regular price of 799, on sale for 689, so I jumped on it while I was in the buying mood. Been pumped up ever since, reading on your site here to learn what I need to do to reload my brass.

I'm guessing the 16" ain't going anywhere. It's too popular a gun. Like someone said earlier, marketing ploy.

Last I checked, my gun will be shipped in a week. I'll take pics and let y'all know how it does. I've heard it's a great gun.
Buzzards gotta eat...same as worms.
DGV

Postby tridentarmory » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:28 pm

Trident Armory is out of uppers that are available. We are going to go back into barrel and upper production over the next two weeks.
Our Douglas barrel uppers are 1000
and our Green Mountain barrel Uppers are 900

That said, they arent a bushy, nor do they resemble one in virtually any way.

uppers will be available again by the third week of march.

Telling y'all this now, because more buying power equates to better deals on our end, and better deals on your end if we can afford to build a lot of em.
tridentarmory

Postby wildcatter » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:50 pm

RuLins05 wrote:So I've been lurking a while and this thread has pushed to join up. I don't get it to be honest, it seems like rumors of the 450 being discontinued happen once about every 18 months and then it never happens. Everything actually to me seems like nothing is being discontinued, in fact Midways has no listed that they will be selling 450 Bushmaster barrels in both 16 and 20" versions as well as the uppers they already carry. I wonder if it is a strange demented marketing tactic :?:

Just sose ya nose. There was some tracking done and it seems that those rumors are being spread by some of the other big-bore AR guys, for nefarious reasons that you can guess at the "Why". Bushy and the 450b ain't going anywhere, but bigger and better..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby tridentarmory » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:05 pm

ill 2nd that, if they go out of production, id be shocked. If i can keep myself afloat building them, id imagine they are doing just fine.
tridentarmory

Postby mad_dog9999 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:28 am

Dgv: I think you bought the last one. I just did my taxes and was going to order one, but I went on Cabelas website and they list it as no longer available. So now I'm kind of pissed about it. I hope bushmaster has a sale soon or something. The 450 supply is getting real thin and I want one bad. But I don't want to spend $800.
mad_dog9999

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles